cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Know what you're selling!

The motto of this story is "know what you're selling" or "description, description, description,".

Cleaning out my garage I came across a bayonet I got at a flea market to far back to remember. It had a scabbard, was well used and I assumed it was a WWII byonet.  Good for prying things, making holes,  whatever. Figured it was worth $20. or so but then again why not research it a little bit after all there were a couple of stamped markings on the blade and scabbard.

After an hour or two of looking on sword and knife forums and other sites I found out that it was very similar to a certain type German bayonet (I forget the model #) except the release button was on the other side and 1 or 2 other small differences. Time to get out the magnifying glass.  Turns out the Isrealis' bought a whole bunch of German bayonets prior to the '67 war. But this had no German markings on it like the ones they bought.  Turns out what I had was a bayonet that was made in an Israeli kibbutz, hence the Star of David stamped on it and the kibbutz stamp. Very much sought out by collectors and rare it sold for almost $300. to a very happy buyer. Of course included in the auction (no reserve) were very detailed pics, some of which I took through a loop for detail on the stamps.  Just go to show that description, and honest presentation of the product is everything.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Know what you're selling!

I agree.  No one should sell anything with the description,  I don't know what this is.  When you do that, you are screwing yourself.    Congratulations on your sale.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply