cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VINTAGE PERFUME RESELLING

HI EXPERTS THOSE THAT SELL VINTAGE PERFUME COLOGNE ETC... DOESNT PERFUME HAVE A SHELF-LIFE?

ARE PEOPLE THAT BUY DISCONTINUED PERFUMES, 40 YEAR OLD PERFUMES, RARE, VINTAGE ,SEALED, ANID PAYING $100'S SOMETIME ARE THEY GETTING OR EXPECTING THE PERFUME TO SMELL LIKE IT WAS MANUFACTURES LAST WEEK?   WHEN A 25YR OLD BOTTLE OF PERFUME IS LISTED  AS BRAND NEW DISCONTINUED VINTAGE AND NOTHING IS MENTIONED OF FRESHNESS, iS THIS A SELLER HOPING NOT TO GET A RETURN RELYING ON IT WASNT DESCRIBED AS FRESH?   i'VE WONDERED ABOUT THIS MANY TIMES AS A LIFELONG PERFUME LOVER AND BOTTLE COLLECTOR.  i WOULD NEVER WANT TO BE UNETHICAL ABOUT A LISTING AND RETURNS ARE COSTLY, BUT IT SEEMS TO ME THIS CATAGORY BUYERS AND SELLERS LEAVE ALOT UNSAID.  WTH ALL THAT BEING SAID  I HAVE MANY RARE SEALED AND UNSEALED  BOTTLES OF IN DEMAND COLOGNES AND PERFUMES WITH ORGINIAL BOXES,  I HIGHLY DOUBT ANY OF THE OPENED ONES COULD BE WORN MOST ARE 30 TO 50 YRS OLD....(I MAYBE i AM WRONG AFTER i SPRAY ONE OR TWO I GET A HEADACHE)  DO I ASSUME THE SEALED ONES ARE BAD ALSO?   i JUST REALLY LOOKING FOR SOME EXPERT SELLERS IN THIS CATAGORY TO WELCOME ME, ADVISE ME AND ENJOY SOME OF THE ITEMS I WOULD LIKE TO LIST.....CANT WAIT TO HEAR BACK FROM EVERYONE!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

i WISH I COULD DELETE THIS QUESTION BUT I DONT SEE A WAY, HAD I KNOWN IT WOULD BE A ONE-SIDED CONVERSATION I WOULD HAVE NOT ASKED.....

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Hi. I collect vintage perfumes, and sometimes I sell them also. Many vintage perfumes/colognes are base-note-heavy, and, overall, they tend to age better than modern perfumes, losing only part of the volatile top-notes over time. A few fragrances do contain unstable elements (artemisia, damascones) that break down over time and don't smell like they should. I have bought both full and partial bottles of vintage fragrances, and have only experienced issues rarely. It's an exciting hobby.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Not all questions asked here get replies.  Your question required somewhat specialized information.  I, personally, know nothing about vintage fragrances so did not answer.  There may not be many people who feel qualified to answer.  As far as deleting your question is concerned, there is no harm in having it remain here.  

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

WHY ARE WE YELLING!!11!!?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

A few years ago, I had old perfume from a home that I had to clean out.

There were 15 bottles of Evening in Paris, some Chantilly and Chanel that I was able to sell at very good prices.

I did have one buyer asked about the smell of the perfume and I asked some questions. She mentioned if it had a musty smell or ? and such.  Told her it was perfumy in a floral way and not a "negative type" smell. I know she purchase several of the Evening in Paris.

(I did know that perfume could go bad until this buyer asked questions)

I just checked all the perfume for a negative smell but everything was good.

I even purchased Avon's Hawaiian White Ginger without asking about the smell. It was a clear bottle and the perfume didn't look discolored.  I was so happy to replace my mom's perfume of choice to remember her by.  Time to time, I spray it in a room to have my mom around.

I would just check the smells and note in your listings.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

As far as I know all perfumes have shelf live. But if you keep them in their original package, dark cold place - they can live up to 100 years. But it is all individually... you will never know till you open it and check. 

Personally- I love vintage perfume ! 

Good luck !

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I love Opium perfume and the original version is  no longer made. I have bought this 1980's perfume on ebay and it is a heavenly as it was new!

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I buy the vintage Opium on Ebay and have never had any problems with the smell. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I recently bought a bottle of the perfume my great grandma wore. She pasted in 83. My only goal was to smell her again because I still miss her. Not everyone buys perfume to wear. Some use it to help heal and remember those we lost. I never expected the perfume to be “good” just healing. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I was given some perfumes that had belonged to my mother.  Most are partially used and not worth anything to me, but I keep the Channel #5 because it smells like her or my memories of her.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I have a huge collection from the 1950s and 60s and the performance is way better than nowadays perfumes for ex diorissimo and youth dew

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I have partially used chanel no 5. One is from 1938 to 1951 4oz. The bottles were still made in France while the fragrance was made in New York. The bottle is marked chanel no 5 bottle made in France. Then I have a partial bottle of chanel no 5 from 1959. It says the dummy 1959. This was a store sample type bottle that wasn't meant to be sold. I have another tester chanel no 5, not sure the age, and a tester coco Chanel. I'm trying to sell them but have no idea where to go to sell them or what the values are.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I think people actually buy for the nostalgia of it.

How foolish to think a scent of 20 to 40 years old could smell like last month!

Sometimes people need to be realistic and responsible for how much a possible whiff of a memory is actually worth. I have hundreds of bottles of vintage fragrances, perfumes. I have decided to finally part with my passion in life, which is very hard,  but l can’t take them with me to the afterlife.

So l think you question was an excellent one.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I have a vintage set from Coty. It is a black cat with floral collar holding unopened Coty Primitif encased in a dome. Are you interested in buying this? 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply