cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAIN IN TOOTH LONG AFTER ROOT CANAL

I'm wondering if anyone can help me.
I've been going to a dental school to get cheaper prices on my dental work. The first thing they did was to tell me I needed a root canal and so I let them do it.

That was six months ago and it hurt after they did it. They kept saying the pain would wear off. I think it's also making my sinus blocked up and I have a sinus headache all the time.

Finally they did xrays and the head of endodontry said that the root canal looked beautiful. He tapped on my teeth and I almost went through the ceiling when he tapped lightly on the root canal tooth.

The he tested my teeth for cold and he said that it was the NEXT tooth to the root canal tooth that the gum was sensitive to cold.

He says THAT tooth needs a root canal.

Meanwhile, the original root canal tooth that they did is killing me. I can't chew on that side and even if I put my finger on that tooth it hurts.

I always though that after the nerve had been removed from a tooth you couldn't have pain. This is horrible. Can anyone help? TIA
Message 1 of 230
latest reply
229 REPLIES 229

**good_rockin_faith**
Trailblazer
If the Dentist packs the tooth socket well & you don't suck on a straw or smoke then you won't have to worry about a dry socket.

It depends on where your tooth is located as to who will pull it. My roots grew in at a 90 degree angle & they used to pull them on sight anyways but now they send you to an oral surgeon. My guess is that your roots are normal.

If you do pull it, the pain will go away immediately. Especially the pressure you are feeling & your glands will feel fine. You still need an antibiotic. that is why I suggested garlic oil pills. Although you may still have a sore throat.

I am not familiar with implants. I have upper dentures now & seven teeth on my lower jaw.

I think your tooth is botched. No turning back now but that is just me & my experience with my teeth & my hubby's.

I cared for my teeth diligently & still lost them.:( It is inherited. Sometimes it is poor dentistry though. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Message 136 of 230
latest reply

erica881
Enthusiast
I"m Kind of going through the same thing! I got my root canal when I was a freshman in high school I recently graduated in June 2007. This damn tooth continues to bother me until this day. Its not an ongoing thing. Like out of nowhere It will start to ache. It will continue to ache for maybe a week or so and then it will stop. Months later will ache and then it will stop...and so on...Is it normal or should I go get it looked at? I mean and it kinda feel like its swollen a little I don't know but every time it starts I want to curse!X-(
Message 137 of 230
latest reply

oldhousekeeper
Enthusiast
Find a top-notch oral surgeon and go see them for a consultation.

Oral surgeons are not dentists, they are physicians. If you have pain, there is likely damage to the nerve or an infection.

An oral surgeon can find the cause and make you feel better.
Message 138 of 230
latest reply

Whew, this thread is still going. I'm the OP and I recently had the offending tooth extracted. The oral surgeon who did it said he had no idea what was wrong with that root canal. NO PAIN anymore at least.:^O

Now I have to get an implant -- fine, except it costs a small fortune. He will get it started and then I go to my own dentist to get the new tooth made. It goes on over a long period of time, so I guess I can just keep socking it onto my credit card and trying to pay it off bit by bit.
Message 139 of 230
latest reply

tams_k
Enthusiast
I still have mine in, I had to wait to get mine extracted since my husband just had surgery for kidney stones and I had (still am) to take care of him. Im hoping that pulling it in either early Dec. or January isn't too late..it's probably poisoning me! LOL Cant wait to get it out and finally eat on the left side of my mouth!

So glad you finally had yours taken care of! Me next! LOL
Message 140 of 230
latest reply

purplemts_2007
Enthusiast
My husband had terrible pain in his jaw and finally went to the dentist, who took x-rays, saw inflammation but no infection. He sent him to an endodontist that day. He also took several x-rays and agreed that there was inflammation and no infection. he also said it was a healthy tooth. My husband ended up getting a root canal. I wish I was there because I have so many questions as to why he had that done. He was in the worst pain I have ever seen him in. He went back to the endodontist who removed the temporary filling. He also removed bone that was coming out of the side of his gum behind the tooth that had the rc. The Dr. asked if he ever had his wisdom teeth out and he has not. My husband has since pulled out (himself) more bone and made an appt to go back to the endodontist to have more bone removed. Where is all of this bone coming from? Does this sound crazy? I have since told him to get another opinion and I have a call into our dds. Any help would be appreciated.
Message 141 of 230
latest reply

mandi25chris
Enthusiast
sorry but im no dentist and I just had my first root canal(RTC) I guess they call it and I have had a huge headache everysince.This was yesterday and the headache is still there.Is this normal?
Message 142 of 230
latest reply

August 2006 I underwent RCT for tooth #9 due to internal and external resorption. The endo and my DDS felt that I didn't need a crown and bonded the areas after the root canal. They felt that the treatment was a success and have seen my DDS a few times since for routine cleaning, etc.

I do not have any pain when tapping on the tooth, biting down or sensitivity to temperatures. However, lately I have had a dull ache coming from that same area. I know that sinus problems can create pressure. Could I have root canal failure?
Message 143 of 230
latest reply

tams_k
Enthusiast
Hey Kat,

It's possible, that's how mine started..a dull ache every now and then.

I'd go back and get some tests done (Xrays etc) thats the best way to find out, just because the dentist "feels" everything is fine doesn't mean they're right..thats what happened with my dentist. Turns out my root canal failed right after they did it, it's funny that they think if the original RC failed the 1st time (Approx. 90% are fine, so your in a small % to start) I'm perplexed to think that a retreat (which they usually always suggest) should be done.. which puts you in a higher % rate to fail..MY argument with my dentist is, if its such a small chance the 1st time that it fails and it does, do you actually think that the 2nd time around with a HIGHER chance that it fails will work?

But each case is different. I would get tests and a second opinion. You dont want to go through hell like some of us on this board!

Good luck!
Message 144 of 230
latest reply

This was yesterday and the headache is still there.Is this normal?

yes and no--the headache might be associated with holding your mouth open for a long time--straining the TMJ joint/muscle area--that might cause a headache but in no way is a root canal responsible for a headache.
Message 145 of 230
latest reply

August 2006 I underwent RCT for tooth #9 due to internal and external resorption-Could I have root canal failure?

maybe---

internal and external resporption is hard to treat effectively for long term results--I would have it xrayed to see...

#9 is usually not associated with sinus pressure--the upper teeth on the sides are......
Message 146 of 230
latest reply

Where is all of this bone coming from? Does this sound crazy? I have since told him to get another opinion and I have a call into our dds. Any help would be appreciated.

this one sounds very tricky---the bone situation does not sound like anything I am familiar with at all....

a healthy tooth ( and there are many ways to test for this) should not require RCT--

but severe pain associated with bone splinters--hmmmmm
I would take all of his xrays and get him to a good oral surgeon to have a look at it......

one question: is he still in pain? or did the RCT seem to help that?
Message 147 of 230
latest reply

purplemts_2007
Enthusiast
Thanks for asking, he seems to be better. The pain has subsided, but the bone chips continued to come out for about 2 weeks. It is very bizarre. The whole explanation was that is was from wisdom teeth extraction years ago - but my husband doesn't ever remember getting teeth pulled. I told him he would remember that.
Message 148 of 230
latest reply

well, its easy enough to tell in an xray if the tooth is there----suprisingly alot of people don't remember things about their teeth

usually those bone chips come out within a few months of the extraction but.....maybe.
Message 149 of 230
latest reply

morekare
Enthusiast
The dentist did NOT remove ALL of your root. I would report the dentist to your state board of dentists. There are good dentists and then there are the kind of dentists like the one who did your root canal. Sue the dentist in small claims court to get your money back so you can afford to have the entire root removed and your pain will be resolved. What a crock to tell you that the pain was in the tooth next to the one where the root was supposed to have been removed. If he touched the tooth where the root was removed then if you had pain then all of the root was NOT removed---plain and simple. Good luck.
Message 150 of 230
latest reply