cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hair color without peroxide or ammonia

I think there are some hair stylists on this board. I am looking for a hair color that does not contain peroxide or ammonia. My BF is allergic to both. The Clairol product "Beautiful" gives nice color but only holds for one or two shampoos on his 100% silver hair. Is there a natural product that holds better, without pink or yellow tones?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Clairol Natural Instincts does not contain Ammonia but it does contain Peroxide.

See this link for the ingredient list.

https://www.clairol.com/m/master/pdf/NI_ingredients.pdf

Message 31 of 42
latest reply

Message 32 of 42
latest reply

I wonder why they discontinued Loving Care? Did they ever say? Maybe it had ingredient in it that was banned or something similar?
Message 33 of 42
latest reply

That’s what I suspect
Message 34 of 42
latest reply

I think Cosamo has what you are looking for!

It is peroxide, ammonia, PPD free non-permanent hair color.  It will have to be reapplied every two weeks or so, however I think that's a small price to pay for the benefit of knowing you aren't damaging your hair/scalp with the added stuff other hair colors have. 

I use this stuff and so does my mom. It is fantastic and far better than anything else I used including Clairol, etc. 

https://cosamousa.com/collections/all

Message 35 of 42
latest reply

They have recently added peroxide
Message 36 of 42
latest reply

It has peroxide now
Message 37 of 42
latest reply

I suffer with a sensitive skin, and was tempted to buy this product which purported to be "natural " however, on reading the ingredients and warnings on the box, "this can cause A SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTION" I had to abandon the product. Clairol may advertise the lack of ammonia and parabens, but I can assure you, that the product is full of many other chemicals and sulphites, it also contains peroxide! Happily you appear to be one of the lucky ones who can tolerate these . I wouldn't put this product anywhere near my scalp/face.
Message 39 of 42
latest reply

Do not use Clairol Natural instincts!!!  I had been growing out my gray hair for 22 months and was almost done.  I bought this product because I wanted a semi permanent that would just coat my hair to see if I wanted to dye it again.  Once my hair was dyed it came out great but then I kept washing it to get the colo

r out.  The product states 28 washes.  I have washed it over 40 times and the color will not come out of my hair.  So I called the company to ask why it is not washing it.  I was told it is not a semi permanent but a demi permanent color.  She told me that it will never wash completely out.  So I was devastated.  All that time I took to grow my hair out cold turkey and I was trusting the packaging on this product.  I even read reviews before I put it on but nobody mentioned it contained peroxide.  Like people are saying if you have to mix two bottles together it is not without ammonia or peroxide.

Message 40 of 42
latest reply

Since your a hair stylist, I wonder if you know if one could use the color part of Loreal or Clairols Semi permanents without the peroxide part similar to a deposit only either by itself or mixed with a conditioner.

Thanks in advance!

Message 41 of 42
latest reply

Hi,Yes, ammonia-free dye is less damaging” according to Randy Schueller, cosmetic chemist and writer of Beauty Brains.com which can be can be considered 'safer' than hair dye with ammonia. “High levels of ammonia are more damaging because of the higher pH” says Schuelle

Message 42 of 42
latest reply