cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this real turquoise? (necklace) - info please?

Howdy! This necklace is 16" and each large bead is approx. 1". The clasp says 325. Can anyone confirm if this is real turquoise (it looks and feels like it, i.e. not resin or glass), and what it might be worth (retail)? Does it have a specific name? Someone offered to buy it but I honestly don't know what it's worth.

It's not strung (or re-strung) very well, that much I can tell.

Thanks in advance!  
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: is this real turquoise? (necklace) - info please?

Also adding that it weighs 70 grams (350 carats) - i.e. each stone weighs close to 22 carats.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

More than likely it is dyed howlite. I agree that the stringing looks more like someone took a temporary string of beads and added a clasp, rather than doing a good job knotting and adding spacers between the beads. Real turquoise beads are very uncommon these days (and even if real turquoise, it is almost always either reconstituted - i.e., mostly resin/plastic, stabilized and/or color-enhanced). You could try flashing light down one of the drilled holes to see if the color goes all the way through. There are other tests you can perform, some of which would require sacrificing a bead, which you likely don't want to do.

I would think it would be valued more as raw material for someone who does beadwork. The "325" isn't a metal fineness of which I'm aware (could be a "925" sterling mark that didn't get fully stamped, though even that doesn't guarantee it is sterling these days).

My currently listed gem rocks
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@rocks2dust wrote:

More than likely it is dyed howlite. I agree that the stringing looks more like someone took a temporary string of beads and added a clasp, rather than doing a good job knotting and adding spacers between the beads. Real turquoise beads are very uncommon these days (and even if real turquoise, it is almost always either reconstituted - i.e., mostly resin/plastic, stabilized and/or color-enhanced). You could try flashing light down one of the drilled holes to see if the color goes all the way through. There are other tests you can perform, some of which would require sacrificing a bead, which you likely don't want to do.

I would think it would be valued more as raw material for someone who does beadwork. The "325" isn't a metal fineness of which I'm aware (could be a "925" sterling mark that didn't get fully stamped, though even that doesn't guarantee it is sterling these days).

Thanks for the info. I should add that they are cold to the touch. And it's possible the 325 is actually 925. The easily visible part of the drilled holes do not show any white, but I'll shine a light and take a closer look, thank you.

Oh - someone suggested these might be Sleeping Beauty - do they resemble that?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Here's a photo of what looks to me like 325. I suppose it could be 925 but it's an odd shape if so.FullSizeRender.jpg

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

And here are a bunch of close-ups of some of the drilled holes. For the most part they seem blue, and they follow the brown vein from the outside of the stone. One of them looks more like a rough rock, but that bead has quite a bit of roughness on it. That's the only one that looks like that on the inside. I hope these are helpful in terms of determining if this turquoise or dyed. Thanks! (More in next post)

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

They look real enough.  Not the highest quality and maybe a little compositing (squooshing together several chips or broken pieces).  But yeah I also wonder about the lack of knotting.  And larger turquoise beads are asking for trouble.  Turquoise is brittle and easily chips, cracks, etc so not the best material for larger beads (though stabilizing would explain the shinyness and the "stuck together" look of some of them).  Stone Mountain turquoise does naturally have beige veins throughout.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply