cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rant on selling clothing

This is a rant, aka politically incorrect string of words. Now you've been warned.

I am selling out my clothing. As mentioned in another thread, it's a part of the process of becoming minimalist.

Most of worn garments have already been donated, selling only name brands, new or like new.

I try to get all the measurements in the listing, also describe as best I can.

Each piece of clothing is put out on my screened porch overnight to air out and make sure there are no smells of my closet on it.

Also, when packaging, I always stick a drier sheet in the garment, with fresh ocean breeze smell.

I pack in brand new silk paper, which I purchase at a local store, and ship Priority even when stated Standard.

I add a "Thank you" card, also purchased retail price.

Selling relatively cheap, always cheapest among same items listed, probably annoying other Sellers, because I dont have a profit margin at this point, just a margin of how little I am willing to get paid for inspecting, preparing for shipping, packing, investing in bubble wrap, silk paper, gas and my time. Basically, do I want to sell for a lollipop worth net or not.

I have also sold some art and other designer no clothing items, never any problems, only happy Buyers.

On the contrary, selling clothes has already got me to a point of wanting to stuff everything in a bag, donate all together and sleep in peace.

How do you manage selling clothes? I must say I am stunned over the experience, and greatly respectfull to Sellers who sells clothing on eBay on regular basis.

So, I have already had 2 INAD returns of Free People dresses, mind you: never worn, which I know for sure since these are my own clothes.

The reasons for returns are what I find so stunning:

- A distressed, mineral washed Free People dress, NWOT, never worn. INAD reason: "Looks washed." Hello?!

Not a good reason? "Oh, then it smells bad and has pet hair on it." (What pet? What smell?)

- A cut out, NWOT, never worn Free People dress.

Return reason: "Doesn't feet like on the model."

Doesn't fit like on the model, Sweetheart? Do you have a mirror at home...visited your bathroom scale lately?

Not a good reason? "Oh, then it is not as pictured, the back part is shorter than pictured" Checkmate.

Now getting ridiculous offers on a listing WITHOUT Best Offer of $400.00 Ivan Grundahl jacket.

Asking $55 plus shipping (previously 65 and free shipping), getting offers of $50 with free shipping.

Are people out of their minds? Is this a Flea Market? Are Sellers viewed as a bunch of desperados?

I used to run a cosmetic store for many years, so I am used to "Find me a lipstick that will change my life" expectations, but I had at least the option of not taking returns once something had been used, and accepting returns on unopened items didn't cost me a load of money. This situation here on eBay is like taken straight out of a Kafka novel.

I have now started listing the clothes as worn and in need of cleaning, even taking the tags off.

I will remove all the model photos on NWT clothes, also understate every clothing item in the listing, feel even tempted to write: "May smell, may look worn and dirty, may have pet hair, beer stains and what not" in an attempt to protect myself from bottom feeders scammers, though surely there would still be something to complaint about no matter what.

But really, at this point I don't care anymore about not receiving negs, will just sell as much as I can before my feedback gets ruined, no more bending forward and backward for no brain no pain reasons so that the remorsed Buyer can save his precious 5 bucks in return shipping without ethical remorses.

Just wonder, where other Sellers find the patience and the professionalism to sell clothes in the long run and to deal with this kind???

End of rant.

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Rant on selling clothing

Good luck on becoming a Minimalist.

Message 16 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

A friend wanted me to sell all of his designer clothing when he dropped about 75 pounds. It was a nightmare of immense proportions (trying to measure everything, straining my eyes to make sure there were no spots, missing buttons, tiny rips, pet hairs, on and on). Finally threw up my hands, advertised the clothing on a local online site, and sold the majority from the back seat of my car. He was none the wiser and that money spent just as well as ebay money.
On another note, ""Find me a lipstick that will change my life" expectations" cracked me up. How true. How true.
Message 17 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

@urdi27 I do wish I had seen your listings, before you ended so many. I consider myself a realistic clothing shopper, on eBay. I realize, when buying from a small seller, I'm not going to get Nordstrom's.

With that said, I Don't like when "home sellers" use the stock photos. I want to see the item I'm getting. Maybe put it in the last position of the array, if you feel it helps.

I personally think it gives people unrealistic expectations. While a major retailer is set up to handle "it doesn't look like the model on me" returns, a casual seller on eBay isn't.

Another thing, I like dryer sheets and have know issue with a seller who includes them, as others have mentioned, many people don't.

If you read the boards long enough, you'll find that smell, especially smoke, is a big issue for a lot of sellers and not only clothing.

As for your buyer who tossed in pet hair, it's probably not their first go with an eBay return and has figured out key things to say, true or otherwise.

Now, should these buyers hit up your feedback with dishonest wording, be sure to come back here, pronto.

Kudos to all the clothing sellers, you really do rock.

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 18 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

I have some still with tags clothes I would love to sell, but everytimeI think about it, I think of going shoppig with my stepmom.  She has her stomach stapled and lost a ton of weight, so she first goes for the size 2 clothes, could get them over her ankles, so she tries size 4, same story, got to a size 6 and those made it over her knees.  Then we go to 8, can't get them on her hips.   ALL this time I am looking at her and thinking size 12 at least.  I went out and pick up some size 12 clothes for her, she could get the jeans to zip over the excess skin.  She started to cry and said all she wanted all her life was to fit into a small size.  I have been 5'9" since I was 11 and I now wear a 14 but I am also almost 60 years old and disabled.  She is 72, we wasted almost 2 hours trying on clothes that were all too small, so I gave her some of my clothes that fit her perfectly, but she insist she is smaller than me, well she is shorter, I just kept telling her how great she looks.  There are just too many women who are not realistic about their actual size.  You bet I would love to be that size 7 I was after the kids were born, but those days are so gone and who wants to look slutty at my age, except for my poor stepmom.  I won't even describe the swinsuit she got, lord help us all, bikinis can be scary

Message 19 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

Urdi,

I am a veteran Ebay seller, but I dont sell clothes,it is just too personal, your buyer just does not like the way she looks in your clothes, could be color ,could be size or simply she does not look good,only models work out daily and eat thin air, the rest of us do enjoy a good meal and dont have time or interest to exercise daily.

You also face tons of competition .

Message 20 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

I have sold some new and EUC men's clothing items, shoes, and hats without any problems.  I take many good photos and also provide measurements and meticulous descriptions.  It is a lot of work, but can be worth the money as some items will sell for $20-50.  These items all came from male relatives or friends, clothing is not something I would ever seek out to sell. 

Have sold a couple pairs of women's sneakers, however I've never sold a single women's clothing item or accessory.  Even though I'm female I rarely buy clothes (I live in men's Carhartt work pants) and am not very knowledgeable in these categories. 

Also women's clothing has been subjected to "vanity sizing" which is confusing, I'm not even sure what size I am any more let alone describe that for someone else!  This seems to imply that women are more vain and fussy about clothes than men. 

Message 21 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

Also, something I have noticed just the last couple of weeks is when I submit and auction I will go back to double check it and usually it has 3-5 hits. I have been told ebay and bots check the auctions so the instant 3-5 hits are not real hits, this week it says none or 1 hit.

So, I'm thinking, NOT EVEN THE FREAKIN' BOTS ARE SEEING MY STUFF!

nooooooooooooooo!!!

Message 22 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

Last time I looked, the clothing category on eBay had more than 3,000,000 items. Although not all of those will be women's clothing, still tough competition.

You need to forget the dryer sheets.  When something is packed in a box for more than a few days, the smell escalates and there are many buyers who cannot handle it.

I liked your entire post.  You seem a pretty well put together person.  And, thanks to you, I now know what's wrong with my life -- I just have not found the life-changing lipstick I deserve.  LOL.

Message 23 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

OP, that was entertaining.  Especially the "doesn't feet" part. 

Hehe, I know, and that's just spelling... some of the spoken English errors have got me in trouble quite a few times  🙂

Thank you All so much for taking the time and for your great advices, will make all of the suggested changes.

Will also remove any personal info on NWT clothing. I know the dress is super comfortable because I have a tendency to purchase several of the same once I find a piece that really works for me. Usually have at least 2 - 5 of any clothing or shoes, as a back up so that I won't have to go shopping againg for a while.  

My closet looks like a store and it has always been this way - it's been pretty embarrassing looking at this proof of greed since I started questioning my real needs versus my "wants". Now selling one at a time to avoid duplicate listings.

I do understand clothes may be returned more often than other stuff, they may not fit or a Buyer may just not like the garment. I fully respect the return policy and will refund upon return with no explanaitions needed. 

What gets me stunned is all the theater, the changing stories in order to avoid return policy (Buyer pays return shipping).

Message 24 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

@urdi27 wrote:

Still have tons of new or like new clothes, mostly Scandinavian brands and most never worn.

Anyway, lesson learned, thanks!

That clothing sounds interesting and unusual. Do you have any consignment shops in your area? 

Message 25 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

I have sold a few items of clothing and each time my heart was in my mouth. It is a MIRACLE nothing ever came back.
I'd say think of selling something else-you'll never have a buyer say "this McCoy vase makes my b*tt look fat!"
Message 26 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

But you do run the risk of:  "This McCoy vase makes my fireplace look small"!

Message 27 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

LOL! Or breaking in transit, God forbid!
Message 28 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

20151121_162515-1.jpgForgive this post, testing loading a pic from mobile on the Internet instead of the app. I took a break from listing & looked out the window a few minutes ago - WI sunset today 🙂  

To chime in on topic - clothing is my least favorite thing to list & give the utmost respect to those that mainly list it

Message 29 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

Beautiful pic holly, thanks for sharing. Yes, I agree that selling clothing is one of the more difficult categories and not for the faint of heart.

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 30 of 77
latest reply