cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rant on selling clothing

This is a rant, aka politically incorrect string of words. Now you've been warned.

I am selling out my clothing. As mentioned in another thread, it's a part of the process of becoming minimalist.

Most of worn garments have already been donated, selling only name brands, new or like new.

I try to get all the measurements in the listing, also describe as best I can.

Each piece of clothing is put out on my screened porch overnight to air out and make sure there are no smells of my closet on it.

Also, when packaging, I always stick a drier sheet in the garment, with fresh ocean breeze smell.

I pack in brand new silk paper, which I purchase at a local store, and ship Priority even when stated Standard.

I add a "Thank you" card, also purchased retail price.

Selling relatively cheap, always cheapest among same items listed, probably annoying other Sellers, because I dont have a profit margin at this point, just a margin of how little I am willing to get paid for inspecting, preparing for shipping, packing, investing in bubble wrap, silk paper, gas and my time. Basically, do I want to sell for a lollipop worth net or not.

I have also sold some art and other designer no clothing items, never any problems, only happy Buyers.

On the contrary, selling clothes has already got me to a point of wanting to stuff everything in a bag, donate all together and sleep in peace.

How do you manage selling clothes? I must say I am stunned over the experience, and greatly respectfull to Sellers who sells clothing on eBay on regular basis.

So, I have already had 2 INAD returns of Free People dresses, mind you: never worn, which I know for sure since these are my own clothes.

The reasons for returns are what I find so stunning:

- A distressed, mineral washed Free People dress, NWOT, never worn. INAD reason: "Looks washed." Hello?!

Not a good reason? "Oh, then it smells bad and has pet hair on it." (What pet? What smell?)

- A cut out, NWOT, never worn Free People dress.

Return reason: "Doesn't feet like on the model."

Doesn't fit like on the model, Sweetheart? Do you have a mirror at home...visited your bathroom scale lately?

Not a good reason? "Oh, then it is not as pictured, the back part is shorter than pictured" Checkmate.

Now getting ridiculous offers on a listing WITHOUT Best Offer of $400.00 Ivan Grundahl jacket.

Asking $55 plus shipping (previously 65 and free shipping), getting offers of $50 with free shipping.

Are people out of their minds? Is this a Flea Market? Are Sellers viewed as a bunch of desperados?

I used to run a cosmetic store for many years, so I am used to "Find me a lipstick that will change my life" expectations, but I had at least the option of not taking returns once something had been used, and accepting returns on unopened items didn't cost me a load of money. This situation here on eBay is like taken straight out of a Kafka novel.

I have now started listing the clothes as worn and in need of cleaning, even taking the tags off.

I will remove all the model photos on NWT clothes, also understate every clothing item in the listing, feel even tempted to write: "May smell, may look worn and dirty, may have pet hair, beer stains and what not" in an attempt to protect myself from bottom feeders scammers, though surely there would still be something to complaint about no matter what.

But really, at this point I don't care anymore about not receiving negs, will just sell as much as I can before my feedback gets ruined, no more bending forward and backward for no brain no pain reasons so that the remorsed Buyer can save his precious 5 bucks in return shipping without ethical remorses.

Just wonder, where other Sellers find the patience and the professionalism to sell clothes in the long run and to deal with this kind???

End of rant.

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Re: Rant on selling clothing

Same reasons why I stopped.  I'm still new so being inundated with silly questions was too overwhelming.  I have a FT job and do eBay on the side so I don't have time to spend answering what's already been answered.  😛

I'm sticking to books for now but even then......it was brand new in the original box it was shipped to me in.  Buyer got it and said I sold a used item as new.  I just got it back on Saturday.  There's a tiny tear at the top on the spine.  My guess is USPS strikes again.  But to say that the spine was ruined and the pages were ruined..... BLAH.

Message 76 of 77
latest reply

Re: Rant on selling clothing

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 77 of 77
latest reply