cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rant on selling clothing

This is a rant, aka politically incorrect string of words. Now you've been warned.

I am selling out my clothing. As mentioned in another thread, it's a part of the process of becoming minimalist.

Most of worn garments have already been donated, selling only name brands, new or like new.

I try to get all the measurements in the listing, also describe as best I can.

Each piece of clothing is put out on my screened porch overnight to air out and make sure there are no smells of my closet on it.

Also, when packaging, I always stick a drier sheet in the garment, with fresh ocean breeze smell.

I pack in brand new silk paper, which I purchase at a local store, and ship Priority even when stated Standard.

I add a "Thank you" card, also purchased retail price.

Selling relatively cheap, always cheapest among same items listed, probably annoying other Sellers, because I dont have a profit margin at this point, just a margin of how little I am willing to get paid for inspecting, preparing for shipping, packing, investing in bubble wrap, silk paper, gas and my time. Basically, do I want to sell for a lollipop worth net or not.

I have also sold some art and other designer no clothing items, never any problems, only happy Buyers.

On the contrary, selling clothes has already got me to a point of wanting to stuff everything in a bag, donate all together and sleep in peace.

How do you manage selling clothes? I must say I am stunned over the experience, and greatly respectfull to Sellers who sells clothing on eBay on regular basis.

So, I have already had 2 INAD returns of Free People dresses, mind you: never worn, which I know for sure since these are my own clothes.

The reasons for returns are what I find so stunning:

- A distressed, mineral washed Free People dress, NWOT, never worn. INAD reason: "Looks washed." Hello?!

Not a good reason? "Oh, then it smells bad and has pet hair on it." (What pet? What smell?)

- A cut out, NWOT, never worn Free People dress.

Return reason: "Doesn't feet like on the model."

Doesn't fit like on the model, Sweetheart? Do you have a mirror at home...visited your bathroom scale lately?

Not a good reason? "Oh, then it is not as pictured, the back part is shorter than pictured" Checkmate.

Now getting ridiculous offers on a listing WITHOUT Best Offer of $400.00 Ivan Grundahl jacket.

Asking $55 plus shipping (previously 65 and free shipping), getting offers of $50 with free shipping.

Are people out of their minds? Is this a Flea Market? Are Sellers viewed as a bunch of desperados?

I used to run a cosmetic store for many years, so I am used to "Find me a lipstick that will change my life" expectations, but I had at least the option of not taking returns once something had been used, and accepting returns on unopened items didn't cost me a load of money. This situation here on eBay is like taken straight out of a Kafka novel.

I have now started listing the clothes as worn and in need of cleaning, even taking the tags off.

I will remove all the model photos on NWT clothes, also understate every clothing item in the listing, feel even tempted to write: "May smell, may look worn and dirty, may have pet hair, beer stains and what not" in an attempt to protect myself from bottom feeders scammers, though surely there would still be something to complaint about no matter what.

But really, at this point I don't care anymore about not receiving negs, will just sell as much as I can before my feedback gets ruined, no more bending forward and backward for no brain no pain reasons so that the remorsed Buyer can save his precious 5 bucks in return shipping without ethical remorses.

Just wonder, where other Sellers find the patience and the professionalism to sell clothes in the long run and to deal with this kind???

End of rant.

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Re: Rant on selling clothing

trust me, as a 12 year $70k per year clothing seller here on ebay, you need a jaw made of IRON to deal with the bottom of the barrel people that seem to lurk on this site looking for free clothing... I quite literally stopped dealing with womens clothing but for a few random pieces here or there because dealing with female clothing sales, was a thousand times more nightmarish than mens.... an even with mens, if I know I cannot fetch at least $25 for something, i don't even bother bringing it in & listing it.

I have ZERO issues with buyers who spend $200 on a jacket or high end shirt, but sell a $50 pair of pants to someone for $13, welcome to your new nightmare.

And this doesn't even begin to touch on just how unfair ebay policies have become to folks like us who deal with things not prepackaged in a box from the factory.. there are 10,000 variables in each garment listed on this site, yet ebays draconian "snad" guidelines are applied to items like they were a new music C or new in the box toaster oven. 

Yet through it all I still have my record in tact.. but man, it's come at a toll of shot nerves & being royally bent over by ebay policies.  I just have to keep telling myself "each item is about a 500%+ markup over what I paid... it's free money.

Message 61 of 77
latest reply

When I started selling on ebay a few years ago, I sold anything and everything.  I settled into selling almost 100% clothing, mainly women's but some men's as well.  While selling clothes is hard work, I love it.  And I don't even particularly  like fashion, LOL (I'm a jeans and T-shirt girl).  But I've done well with clothing, mainly middle-of-the road stuff bought for $1 and sold for $14-$20.  I sell high end designer stuff when I can get it and have done pretty well with that, as well.  I know my brands, I know what my customers want, and I give it to them.  I ALWAYS take the approach of "underselling" the item - for example,  if I'm almost 100% sure it's NWOT, I describe it as pre-owned.  I try not to sell anything with any kind of flaw, but when I do I describe it thoroughly and provide photos of the flaw.   I have good sources for my clothing and buy it at very low prices, so my profit margin is pretty decent.  I have very few returns, and when I get one I handle it graciously and always try to provide great customer service.  I've had a few buyers try to take advantatge of my return policy or fish for partial refunds, and I just handle them professionally and take the approach that if there's ANY question at all that the customer might be right, then the customer is right.  But my return rate is quite low and I just consider that part of the cost of doing business.   It's SO easy to pack and ship clothing, and never any worry about breakage.  I just don't want to sell anything else anymore, too many problems. 

Message 62 of 77
latest reply

I sell clothes almost exclusivly unless I come across a really good deal on something else. I've been selling for 3 years and found that for me clothes worked best, even though I know nothing about fasion. When I switched from hardware to clothes my sales went straight up. I did very well until I thought to much. I figured that if average clothes sell then high end would probably sell like crazy. Long story short, i was wrong, High end takes longer to list, takes longer to sell and has a huge return ratio. The worse part is I can list 2 shirts that are the same brand and style but one was made for a high end store. The difference in retail price can be as high as $70 but the price that most buyers want to pay for either is almost exactly the same. My sales have plumeted and my returns sky rocketed. I plan on going back to average clothes and selling the high end stuff slower. Personally I think the more the clothes are worth the harder they are to sell for their real value and the more picky people are when they recieve them.

I wish I had decided to check the boards sooner (first time here) almost all of the great suggestions on here I learned the hard way. Great advice.

Message 63 of 77
latest reply

I do well with clothing, I've had a few items returned, and I give up the fight. I had one buyer complain the sleeves were too long on a blouse, and admitted she didn't read the description at all as she just saw the listing moments before it ended, and bid. That was in an email to me. When I told her I don't accept returns, she filed a case with ebay and alleged a "strong odor." I looked at her feedback left for others and it was clear, she runs that scam all the time. I disclosed "minimal wash fade" on a girl's dress, and buyer filed a case, stating "more wash fade than expected." Now I simply state wash fade without a qualifier on ALL my children's clothing. If a potential bidder asks too many questions, especially about measurements, I tell them they should be familiar with the brand and the brand's sizing, I do not provide anything but bust measurement & length at center back. Then I block the bidder. I have only had 4 returns, one was totally my fault as I missed some flaws. I don't do this for a living. I buy and sell most of mine and my daughter's clothes on ebay. I often get FB stating "better than described."  
I don't pay more than about 25% of retail price for used clothing, so I don't expect any more than that. If an items is more than 2 season old, it brings less. 

Message 64 of 77
latest reply

Message 65 of 77
latest reply

I agree...clothing used to sell very well....people want it for free now!

Message 66 of 77
latest reply

I feel the samw way. As soon as she said she puts dryer sheets in the box I cringed. I buy unscented dryer sheets. I dont want my clothes to have any kind of smell.
Message 67 of 77
latest reply

Would that include all clothing or just the used kind ? Thanks. What about new, name brands ?

Message 68 of 77
latest reply

URDI..

I am   very  sad  to  hear how  unpleasant  it     has  become  for so  many  sellers  to  sell  Women's  clothing  here. Smiley SadSmiley Surprised

When  I joined  Ebay,   way  back in   early  2004---I came here   SPECIFICALLY  to  buy  clothing  for myself.    My  income  had sudently  delclined and   I   could  no longer  afford  to  shop  at  Bloomingdales  or the  nifty  Madiison  Avenue  boutigues.  

SO  when  I  came here  I   was  delghted   to   see  so  many  of my  favorite   Brands at  prices I  could  afford.    And  I  was   really  happy  when  I  dicovered   that  the  Sellesr   here were  offerring  items   that  were  in   such good condition  that most items  looked  almost  new. Smiley Happy

I do   not  understand  why  so many  buyers   are now being  abusive  and  unfair  to  clothing    sellers???Smiley Frustrated

I  consider  myself  to VERY LUCKY  that   I  can  continue to  buy  such  niice  things  from   these  sellers  I  just  do not  know  what  is  wrong   with  other  buyers ?

Message 69 of 77
latest reply

I love your rant.  To answer your question - how do you sell clothing?  First decades ago I started selling books and CDs, much easier.  No returns.  Then I moved into electronics (computers, parts, digital cams) and got a lot more returns.  Then I found a love for clothing & accessories and I'm still learning what to look for.  I started out selling women's clothing, and now I've moved to men's clothing.  They are LESS fussy than women and they KNOW THE BRAND NAMES AND WHAT THEY LIKE.  Example:  Men LOVVVVV Ralph Lauren.  If I could find some Armani, Boss, or other high end brands I would list them in a heartbeat.  But I can't find them where I source.  I'm going to try Banana Republic, but again, those clothing items are hard to find.

I suggest you move away from women's wear -- or put your items on another site like Posh.

And the high end items can be consigned can't they?  There are online and offline consignment shops.

@urdi27 wrote:

This is a rant, aka politically incorrect string of words. Now you've been warned.

I am selling out my clothing. As mentioned in another thread, it's a part of the process of becoming minimalist.

Most of worn garments have already been donated, selling only name brands, new or like new.

I try to get all the measurements in the listing, also describe as best I can.

Each piece of clothing is put out on my screened porch overnight to air out and make sure there are no smells of my closet on it.

Also, when packaging, I always stick a drier sheet in the garment, with fresh ocean breeze smell.

I pack in brand new silk paper, which I purchase at a local store, and ship Priority even when stated Standard.

I add a "Thank you" card, also purchased retail price.

Selling relatively cheap, always cheapest among same items listed, probably annoying other Sellers, because I dont have a profit margin at this point, just a margin of how little I am willing to get paid for inspecting, preparing for shipping, packing, investing in bubble wrap, silk paper, gas and my time. Basically, do I want to sell for a lollipop worth net or not.

I have also sold some art and other designer no clothing items, never any problems, only happy Buyers.

On the contrary, selling clothes has already got me to a point of wanting to stuff everything in a bag, donate all together and sleep in peace.

How do you manage selling clothes? I must say I am stunned over the experience, and greatly respectfull to Sellers who sells clothing on eBay on regular basis.

Are people out of their minds? Is this a Flea Market? Are Sellers viewed as a bunch of desperados?

I used to run a cosmetic store for many years, so I am used to "Find me a lipstick that will change my life" expectations, but I had at least the option of not taking returns once something had been used, and accepting returns on unopened items didn't cost me a load of money. This situation here on eBay is like taken straight out of a Kafka novel.

I have now started listing the clothes as worn and in need of cleaning, even taking the tags off.

I will remove all the model photos on NWT clothes, also understate every clothing item in the listing, feel even tempted to write: "May smell, may look worn and dirty, may have pet hair, beer stains and what not" in an attempt to protect myself from bottom feeders scammers, though surely there would still be something to complaint about no matter what.

But really, at this point I don't care anymore about not receiving negs, will just sell as much as I can before my feedback gets ruined, no more bending forward and backward for no brain no pain reasons so that the remorsed Buyer can save his precious 5 bucks in return shipping without ethical remorses.

Just wonder, where other Sellers find the patience and the professionalism to sell clothes in the long run and to deal with this kind???

End of rant.

L. Wright, Chicago
Message 70 of 77
latest reply

Purses and Luggage are good to sell.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi urdi27!!

I don't know what other sellers have experienced, I can only tell you of my own experiences and thoughts -- I have been selling here for almost 12 years and I AVOID and do NOT LIKE selling clothing -- this is just me remember, but I have literally racks of beautiful expensive clothing that my elderly mother in law wants me to sell for her (items that cost a few hundred a piece) but I will not touch yet as it is so tedious and the return rate and type of buyers that are attracted to second hand eBay discount clothing, usually know the return procedures --- so 

My simple advice is find something else to sell!! Honestly, selling clothing now on eBay is almost on par to selling personal electronics (phones, etc) HIGH scam, high complant , high returns and high defects!!!

So, I do feel for you, but I am finding my sucessful niche elsewhere -- far, far way from (ladies) clothing!!

Honestly due to the rate of returns, find something else to sell  -- clothing is oversaturated and a risky category imho!!

L. Wright, Chicago
Message 71 of 77
latest reply

There's an Ebayer video I've been watching, Lindey on Ebay, and she reports on all the things she's bought and what sold.  She buys a lot of good cheap priced clothing and makes at least a 20-50% profit.  Worth watching.  Search Lindey on Ebay.

@pookatoo wrote:

I sell clothes almost exclusivly unless I come across a really good deal on something else. I've been selling for 3 years and found that for me clothes worked best, even though I know nothing about fasion. When I switched from hardware to clothes my sales went straight up. I did very well until I thought to much. I figured that if average clothes sell then high end would probably sell like crazy. Long story short, i was wrong, High end takes longer to list, takes longer to sell and has a huge return ratio. The worse part is I can list 2 shirts that are the same brand and style but one was made for a high end store. The difference in retail price can be as high as $70 but the price that most buyers want to pay for either is almost exactly the same. My sales have plumeted and my returns sky rocketed. I plan on going back to average clothes and selling the high end stuff slower. Personally I think the more the clothes are worth the harder they are to sell for their real value and the more picky people are when they recieve them.

I wish I had decided to check the boards sooner (first time here) almost all of the great suggestions on here I learned the hard way. Great advice.

L. Wright, Chicago
Message 72 of 77
latest reply

You know why people want it for free?  BECAUSE IT IS **bleep** NEAR FREE.  I don't know where you live, but I live in Chicago and I swear every brand name store has a "clearance" "sale" sign in it.  Buy 1 get 1 free, buy 1 get 1/2 off; Ann Taylor:  Take additional 40% clearance items.  Then if you go to the clearance at TJM or Marshalls their clothing is so low priced you want to cry.  Yes, the stores are giving away their shyt almost free.  That's why the luxury lines like Kors and Coach are pulling their inventory from the department stores.  The stores are deep discounting their brand name.

@shell-lover wrote:

I agree...clothing used to sell very well....people want it for free now!

L. Wright, Chicago
Message 73 of 77
latest reply

I don't accept return but just got back a top that the buyer said smelled of gasoline. Guess what, there was no small whatsoever! I suspect she just didn't like the fit of some other thing.  Girl you hit the nail on the head. I still have lots of clothes to sell but thinking about getting out of clothing. I thank you for your rant because now I know I am not the only one.  Some buyers have no ethics and we seller have little recourse or protection from ebay from dishonest sellers!

Message 74 of 77
latest reply

IW48..

Yes,  from  what  I can  see--it  IS  easier to  sell Men's  Clothing  on  here than  Women's clothing.  I think Men  are more interested in  obtaining  practical  clothing---as opposed to  getting the latest  fashions.  And getting just the  "RIGHT SHADE OF BLUE."   

My nephew  recently  got his   college degree(  he  did it part time over a number of years.)   All his  clothing was  Blue Collar  stuff and he needed to get a whole new wardrobe  for  the  Executive position to  which he  was  promoted.  Obviously  he  needed  to  find  things  that  were less  expensive  than  Retail  prices.

So  I  sent him to  Ebay---ad WOW has he  been  able to  buy  some  really  good-looking things.  And the sellers he has been  buying from  are top-notch people.    (Of course,  I told him  how  to investigate  the Feedback Scores--and even the DSR rating on  "as described."   The  sellers he has  found are meticulous about giving accurate measuremts.  And almost everything he has  purchased  is in  excellent  colndition. 

Message 75 of 77
latest reply