cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please! Suggestions for authenticating early 1980s Chanel lambskin handbag without a serial number

I would like to know if anyone familiar with vintage Chanel handbags sees anything on this bag which would indicate it was a knock off, other than not having a serial number?

There is no indication in the lining there ever was a serial number. I thought it was possible the bag was made in the early 80s before Chanel implemented holograms or serial numbers. I also was told it could be a possibility the bag had the lining replaced by Chanel where there would no longer be a serial number. I was told Chanel would return the loose piece of cloth with the serial number on it to the owner, but that could easily have been misplaced.

I am not knowledgeable in Chanel bags, other than what I've been told or read (sometimes contradictory), but this one seems real to me. The leather is super soft and feels buttery like lambskin feels, the zipper has "eclair" on it and Chanel used that zipper company in the early 80s, the back of the lock has the stamp in it, the number of stitches, the clasp has the double C that Lagerfeld designed and I read he came to Chanel in 1983, but that the hologram serial numbers didn't go into use until 1986.

Any suggestions or info will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Please! Suggestions for authenticating early 1980s Chanel lambskin handbag without a serial numb

Because Authenticate4U responded immediately to the Facebook message, I decided to continue with them. I received a message the info and photos would all be forwarded to their senior Chanel authenticator for review.  On the 16th I received word the bag was determined to be authentic so I am very excited.

They mentioned earlier that the payment portal on their site has been reactivated and the notice regarding its removal has been deleted, in case anyone is interested.

Thanks again to albertabrightalberta and jsales0

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Please! Suggestions for authenticating early 1980s Chanel lambskin handbag without a serial numb

additional photos

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

If those who know Chanel don't see any problems, my recommendation is to invest $7.50-ish for a professional authentication both for your peace of mind and definitely if you ever plan to resell it.

But before spending the money, wait to see if anyone sees problems. (We don't recommend spending money on a pro if an item is an obvious fake since that's throwing good money after bad.)
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

If those who know Chanel don't see any problems, my recommendation is to invest $7.50-ish for a professional authentication both for your peace of mind and definitely if you ever plan to resell it.

But before spending the money, wait to see if anyone sees problems. (We don't recommend spending money on a pro if an item is an obvious fake since that's throwing good money after bad.)
albertabrightalberta

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Thanks albertabrightalberta. I hope someone responds. I will wait before spending any money. I guess that would be Authenticate4U, correct?
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I recommend both Etinceler and Authenticate4U.
albertabrightalberta

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I am a little confused how to pay and submit photos to Authenticate4U because their site gives a different email address to send photos to than the one listed to make payments to.

Their "Important Information" page on their  website states "Payment procedures on the website have been disabled. Payments can be made to accounts@authenticate4u.com"  due to some hack situation.  Under the "Photographic Submission" page it states, "Email photos to authenticate4u.com@gmail.com".

I wrote to their Gmail address to ask, but never received a reply.

I didn't know if I just go to PayPal and send the money to the email accounts@authenticate4u.com as indicated then send the photos to authenticate4u.com@gmail.com as indicated and just mention I paid.

If you happen to know could you tell me please? Thanks

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Contact A4U through their Facebook page. You’ll get a faster response. Payment should be sent at the same time through PayPal but I’m not certain of the cost. 

As stated Etinceler is also excellent and only does Chanel. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@vintage_chic_antiques wrote:

I am a little confused how to pay and submit photos to Authenticate4U because their site gives a different email address to send photos to than the one listed to make payments to.

Their "Important Information" page on their  website states "Payment procedures on the website have been disabled. Payments can be made to accounts@authenticate4u.com"  due to some hack situation.  Under the "Photographic Submission" page it states, "Email photos to authenticate4u.com@gmail.com".

I didn't know if I just go to PayPal and send the money to the email accounts@authenticate4u.com as indicated then send the photos to authenticate4u.com@gmail.com as indicated and just mention I paid.

When I've sent payments, I've sent them to authenticate4u.com@gmail.com through Paypal "send money." I follow by sending photos to that same email address and if necessary, send a message through their Facebook page to verify that they got both the payment and pictures. 

ETA: I've never used the "accounts" email address. 

albertabrightalberta

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Thanks jsales0 I might try Etinceler

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@vintage_chic_antiques wrote:

When I've sent payments, I've sent them to authenticate4u.com@gmail.com through Paypal "send money." I follow by sending photos to that same email address and if necessary, send a message through their Facebook page to verify that they got both the payment and pictures. 

ETA: I've never used the "accounts" email address. 

Interesting. I wonder if the info under the "Important Information" is something outdated that just was never taken down. I may try to ask them about it on Facebook, yet they never responded when I told them about it to their Gmail. Thanks

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Because Authenticate4U responded immediately to the Facebook message, I decided to continue with them. I received a message the info and photos would all be forwarded to their senior Chanel authenticator for review.  On the 16th I received word the bag was determined to be authentic so I am very excited.

They mentioned earlier that the payment portal on their site has been reactivated and the notice regarding its removal has been deleted, in case anyone is interested.

Thanks again to albertabrightalberta and jsales0

Message 12 of 12
latest reply