cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with St. John please

Hello:

Wondering if someone can can help me. I purchased a “St. John” item on Etsy but it isn’t like any of the other St. John knits I’ve had or sold. The jacket doesn’t have a St. John label. The dress does. What is throwing me off is the label sewn into the side seam. It says “100% wool made in Hong Kong”. See attached. Before I contact the seller I want to make sure it is/isn’t legit. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Help with St. John please

Why are you asking questions about an item purchased on another site here?

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Because I’d like help authenticating, since I had planned to sell it on here (and obviously won’t if it’s not authentic). Many people ask for help on items they purchase elsewhere.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I have never seen a fabric tag like this on a St John, Santana knit are wool and rayon. But the biggist flag I can see is the brand label. Other correct me if I am wrong, but it is a current label, but look how the label is sewn on. very sloppy and the thread does not match. I am not an expert, just a seller who seen lots of St John. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@bigoljim47 wrote:

I have never seen a fabric tag like this on a St John, Santana knit are wool and rayon. But the biggist flag I can see is the brand label. Other correct me if I am wrong, but it is a current label, but look how the label is sewn on. very sloppy and the thread does not match. I am not an expert, just a seller who seen lots of St John. 

St. John makes clothes in weave styles other than Santana.  The piece pictured is not Santana.   

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

For the record, here is a photo of a Santana knit top with thart label.

sjwhtshell2.jpg

and a top with crochet that also has that label

sjsilver3.jpg

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I know St John uses other type of material. I done a little research because of the fabric tag because it bugged me. The "made in Hong Kong" was dropped after 1997 and it became "made in China". I don't know why a designer would use an old term with a current label. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@bigoljim47 wrote:

I know St John uses other type of material. I done a little research because of the fabric tag because it bugged me. The "made in Hong Kong" was dropped after 1997 and it became "made in China". I don't know why a designer would use an old term with a current label. 

St. John doesn't make their clothes in China.   They are primarily made in the USA and Mexico.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I found that label online. It belongs to the “Woolmark” company. I’m thinking someone removed a St. John label and sewn it on the dress. There is a Piece cutoff the “pure wool” label on both pieces. Wonder if it said “Woolmark”. Thank you all! Appreciate the help.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

This will not help with authenticity re. St. John, but Woolmark is used in a wide variety of garments that are pure wool. That is all that it means (i.e. the item is "authentic" 100% wool).

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@blazebird wrote:

@bigoljim47 wrote:

St. John doesn't make their clothes in China.   They are primarily made in the USA and Mexico.

Not true any more.  St John makes a lot of its clothes in China.  I don't know about its knits, but you will find a lot of leather and silk and cotton garments from St John are now made in China.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I would say that is a non-St John garment whose original label has been removed and replaced with a St John label.  It's been attached in a manner inconsistent with how St John attaches its neck labels  including thread color and manner of attachment (also, compare the stitch/finishing of your black sweater to the blue one which is a correct ST JOHN)

stjohnnecklabelcomparison.jpg

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Thank you. Very helpful. I contacted the seller and she refunded me with no hesitation (even before I sent it back).

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

That's great.  Sometimes sellers do that because they've been caught, but other times they really didn't know. 

I was in a clothing resale shop the other day and found 2 garments that were lower end brands but that had had the neck labels swapped out with higher end labels.  The shop was one of those that buy clothing for cash - so the seller just walked away with the cash since the person on duty to view/offer $ for garments didn't really know the brands well enough to recognize that it had been mislabeled.   They look at condition and know how to recognize an Anthropologie brand RN# but that's as far as it goes, so they got snookered.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply