cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Cotton Linen

This is my first time posting in a discussion, so I'm still figuring our how the board works. Apologies if this has been addressed before, but I searched online to see if htis was a common problem and found nothing.

I have noticed a very common practice of sellers listing clothing (bulk quantities, and ususally in China) as "cotton linen" or sometimes just "cotton" as a catch-all phrase for moslty synthetic clothing. It is not limited to ebay, other sellers do this, but here of course i am just tlaking about the issue as it exists on ebay.

For a couple items I was looking for I was surprised at how cheap these brand new  "100% cotton" clothes were and inquired with the sellers who gave me all sorts of shady responses. Often I see the same item, same brand listed by another seller in the related items bar as "100% polyester".

If I am looking at a cotton or linen item have started asking the sellers for a photo of the tag to verify that the item is what they claim it is. The other day a seller sent me a tag which does indeed say linen and cotton, but belongs to what seems to be a completely different item. It is a different colour (which they told me as the monitor) and has a pattern while the listing shows plain fabric.

I have mistakenly ordered a few things in the past only to find they were definitely polyester, for example one had a tag on it. The sellers give me a huge amount of grief of the matter of returns, they offer to refund $1 or a percentage but claim they cannot afford to pay for return shipping. This even happened with an item listed as 100% modal which when arrived had a 100% polyester tag, to which I got this response when I started a refund:

"it is very cheap.
We are all losing money and we have no money to make.
If you want 100% modal,it is very expensive.
You should think before you buy it."

I have reported them but of course this doesn't cut down on the hundreds of other sellers doing the same thing. As far as I can tell these same sellers are still in business and even have the same listings up. I have left negative feedback, and some sellers harrass me to change it. I report them if they offer money of course.

It's not like I buy that many clothes on ebay but there are a couple of things I have been searching for recently but haven't found, moslty because of all these scams. In the process of searching I run into countless listings and have asked them about their product. It's clearly a common practice and people are buying these things all the time, maybe even thinking they are actually made of natural materials if they aren't familiar with textiles.

Some of these listings might actually be cotton or linen, but I really can't tell anymore.

Part of the problem is there doesn't seem to be a category for that specific infraction. The closest I could find was "keyword spamming" or "misleading title".

I am posting this partially to let other buyers know so they aren't buying these things and are watchful of sellers using this tactic, but also to ask what is Ebay doing about this problem? I have called a few times about it, they thank me and submit a report, but as mentioned the listings are still up, at least the ones I have checked when I remember. I know people in that department are probably working very hard with other scams suchas brand knockoffs and money laundering, but selling dishonest products is also a problem. As common as this is, I think someone should crack down on it. I would be happy to if someone would hire me 😉 But seriously, I'd like to know what other ebay members know about this.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Fake Cotton Linen

Sorry for the typos, I didn't realize I would run out of time to edit 😄
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Fake Cotton Linen

I think the solution is simple, stop buying clothing from China..or electronics or jewelry(not that you have bought those items)...you dont want to have so many cases filed that you lose Ebays mbg...

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Fake Cotton Linen

@bonjourami wrote:

I think the solution is simple, stop buying clothing from China..or electronics or jewelry(not that you have bought those items)...you dont want to have so many cases filed that you lose Ebays mbg...

I agree COMPLETELY! This board is constantly seeing complaints about fake or deceptive Chinese goods and sellers, especially clothing, but name brand and "designer" fakes and jewelry stamped as Sterling or 14 karat and turns out to be just cheap plated "mystery metal" are also at the top of the list. STOP BUYING FROM CHINESE SELLERS! And beware of sellers who claim to be located in the US but are actually in China. READ THEIR FEEDBACK.

Go to the SEARCH box at the top of this discusion Board and the one at the Bidding And Buying Board

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/bd-p/bidding-buying-db

and enter " chinese (seller,sellers) " just like I typed it without the quotation marks and READ THE POSTS. If you keep buying junk from sellers whose country and leaders close their eyes and in fact encourage their citizens to rip off gullible buyers from other countries, youre not learning a thing from your mistakes.

"On the Internet, no one knows if youre a dog.
EVERYONE knows if youre an idiot."
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Fake Cotton Linen

yes I think buyers need to take some responsibility for keeping these scammers in business on ebay.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Fake Cotton Linen

It’s all very well telling people not to buy from China. It’s become far to common practice on these community pages to just let eBay off the hook. They are providing this selling platform and making many billions doing it. If they have to spend an extra couple of billion to enforce trading standards so be it.  The eBay community are willing to help by flagging these sellers but the complaint options are carefully worded to preclude this. eBay are complicit in keeping these sellers in business.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Fake Cotton Linen

I avoid buying from China. I was looking to buy a telescope adaptor for my phone today. I saw a few that say shipped from the US but when you click the seller name they are based in China. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Fake Cotton Linen

Please do not bounce old threads. It does not serve the community to respond to something posted a year ago. You  need to either start a new thread or just let it go.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Fake Cotton Linen

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread HERE.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply