cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Selling Designer Handbags

Other than having proof of authenticity, what advice can you give me on selling designer handbags on eBay?  I have a Michael Kors and a Louis Vuitton that I'm considering selling.  I know that eBay has great buyer protection, but what about seller protection?  Any advice, like adding security tags, etc., from experienced sellers would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Advice on Selling Designer Handbags

It's not as though you opened an account and suddenly listed 75 designer items. You should be fine and as long as you are aware of red flags or know to ask about anything that seems sketchy, you'll be okay.

We all started out as newbies.
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Without trying to be a debby-downer, you should be made aware that as a low feedback seller without a history of selling designer items, you will be a scammer magnet.

The following is my advice:
1. Try to get free authentications here or other purse forums to verify that you don't have an obvious fake.
2. For items deemed authentic, a $7 investment in a professional authentication can add credibility to your listings and reassurance for buyers who can verify with the authentication company that your listing is for an authentic bag. (You would state in the listing that "it was authenticated by XYZ company. Feel free to verify by sending them a link to the listing.")
3, Ebay allows sellers to upload 12 pictures to their listings without cost to you. Take advantage of a freebie and show all sides, corners, hardware, serial number/date codes, lining, areas of issues like stains, scuffs, etc. All pictures should be very clear.
4. Include a detailed description.
5. Fpr shipping, tracking is a must. If the total sale amount (including shipping) is $750 or more, you must purchase signature confirmation.

For sold items: I don't use security tags so someone else might have suggestions regarding them.

Photograph as though there's no description and describe as if there are no pictures.

albertabrightalberta

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks, my selling history is what makes me so nervous about this.  I do shop and buy frequently on eBay and would be too suspicious to buy from someone with such an infrequent selling history as mine.  I do absolutely plan on having one of them (a Louis Vuitton that I purchased on eBay and had the authenticity verified by this forum) authenticated by Authenticate4u.com.  The other is a Michael Kors that I bought and kept all receipts, care cards, price tag, etc. (I even kept the MK logo tissue paper it came stuffed with).  They were a big investment and it will be hard parting with them so I just wanted assurance that eBay will protect me against any scammers.  Thanks for your time.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

It's not as though you opened an account and suddenly listed 75 designer items. You should be fine and as long as you are aware of red flags or know to ask about anything that seems sketchy, you'll be okay.

We all started out as newbies.
albertabrightalberta

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@ggcozgirlone

In addition to the sage advice given by Alberta; I'll offer this..

I used a type of security tag for expensive items.. They're tyvek bracelets and can be purchased here on eBay. Once removed, they're ruined & can't be put back on by wanna be renters. Get the ones with serial numbers, the brighter more ugly the color, the better. Take a photo of the item WITH the tag (perhaps as your last pic) .  I attach a card to the tag with a blurb, something like; Please do not remove until you are satisfied you will be keeping the bag,shoes, jacket whatever.. 

Please understand this will not ensure a win with eBay in a case for INAD or wrong item returned etc... But it helps a little. At the very least it lets scammers know that you wont roll over and you'll fight if they try it.

ALWAYS insure your high dollar shipments! Always! You can build the cost into the item price if you wish. If you ever have to use it- you will be so happy you purchased it & it will pay for all the times you bought it & didn't need it. 

Best of luck to you...

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thank you Pika! Great advice.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply