cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technics Turntable

I don’t know how to go about doing this? I am legally Blind 20/400. I bought a Mint Technics Turntable SL-1600MK2 about 1 year ago & it was totally serviced before I bought it. It is 100% Mint Condition not a scratch anywhere it is still wrapped in Plastic Wrap. Everything is 100% OEM Condition including the Dust Cover I got every accessory for it & the 2 Manual’s. I also bought another SL-1600MK2 for all the Part’s here is a list of all the Parts I have in a separate box.

Main Circuit Board, Power Motor Assembly with Circuit Board, OEM Tonearm with circuit board & Original RCA Cords, OEM Dust Cover with Hindges, Extra set of Hindges & mounting Hardware, steel metal Platter & 2 Mint Rubber Mat’s, (6) OEM Headshell’s (3)

Black & (3) Silver Headshell’s with Weight’s that have the Technics name on top of each one (Brand New). Extra in Box Balance Weight. I also have all parts to convert it from

(110 to 240 Volts, 50/60 Cycles, I have Power Transformer, main Power Circuit Board, Power Voltage Switch, Black Plastic Moulded Cover for Motor. 

So what could I get for the whole complete Package? I have no idea how to list this or even sell it!!

so is there someone out there that could help me out?? I’d like to trade this for a Mint Condition (SL-1100A) technics Turntable!!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Technics Turntable

repairelectronics
Trailblazer

I've been repairing electronics for the better part of 40 years and before shutting down my electronic shop in the early 2000's I had to have my son listen to equipment brought in for high pitch squeals, wow, and flutter as I could not hear it. ok maybe not flutter.

Anyways I could never differentiate the sound from a $100 turntable from a $1000 turntable even when I was 30 years old. same as lamp cord and monster cable sound the same as long as the gauge was equivalent.

I started out in the '70s working for Olson Electronics repairing electronics/turntables and will say the only difference between the $100 vs $1000 ones were the headshells and balanced platters, some of the other mechanicals and preamps may have been better but that varied widely and difficult to tell.

I will say there are some audiophiles who will pay top dollar for that rig. The 60/50 hertz converter is no easy/cheap feat and expands you to the European market, other than that it is superfluous.

Personally outside of a few people who monitor this forum, you're not gonna get much help, best to google some pro-audio or AV forums and ask there first then rethink about selling online.

It's not that buying high-end electronics on eBay is bad, 20 years ago I spent several thousand on some 1980 Carver equipment that I still run to this day, it is selling that worries me. Now that I am retired and want to sell all my equipment it will only be done local/cash only.

Lastly, don't ever use the term 100% mint unless it is absolutely unrefutably pristine or it will open you up to costly snads. Since it has been repaired it is used in excellent condition at best, and don't say refurbished either unless the manufacturer has a serial number with a checklist, saying otherwise is hyperbole and not worth spit.

btw, with you being 20/400 and me at 20/80 you probably hear better than me ...

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Identifying the quality in a good turntable can be tricky for a couple of reasons. 

First, the biggest thing that makes the SL1600/SL1200mk2 so valuable is not detectable when listening to a record. They have a very powerful motor that can get the platter up to speed immediately. So if you're an on-air DJ and you want to cue up a seamless transition you don't have to worry about the ramp-up spoiling the vocal into to "Rock of Ages"; and if you're playing at a club and using a slip mat, you know that the record will be in-tune and on the beat the instant your hand lets go of the vinyl.

Second, the cartridge is what matters, not the turntable, when you listen to an "audiophile grade" reference recording. You can put a cheap cartridge in an expensive deck, and vice versa; so it's really not fair to compare the sound of an SL1200 against the cheap BSR in the top of an old Fisher Studio Standard console until you know what kind of cartridges are installed in each.

The SL1600 is generally accepted as among the best Technics turntables, comparable to the SL1200mk2, and perfectly suited to use by live and on-air DJ's. Most of them are incredibly beat up, and physical appearance really isn't important to professionals, so listing it as "excellent condition" with some photos should be adequate. This deck is over the top for most home listeners, again because it's a workhorse designed to produce consistent results under harsh use; but I'm sure there is someone out there who would be proud to have one in their home.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I bought a National Panasonic Reel to Reel.

and the Guy won’t ship because i didn’t pay for it immediately. I had to go to my Bank & Transfear money. I am disabled & legelly blind 20400 & I use a White Cane. My Echeck cleared last Thursday night. I paid a lot for it $300.00 plus $150.00 for shipping. So what should I do about it? I had no control over the Echeck Clearing. I am very upset over this so what should I or can I do? It still says paid but seller has not shipped it yet!!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Nobody can force them to ship but if they cancel the transaction because you paid with a check they'll earn a defect against their account.

If the seller accepts PayPal they have to accept all forms of payments including eChecks. Maybe you should let the seller know that. When it clears they're supposed to ship within their handling time. Their PayPal account will say OK To Ship when it clears.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I need your help I bought a Panasonic Reel to Reel from a Guy in Ohio on October 22nd & then it took 10 to Clear the Federal Reserve. I really want it as they come up once a year if I’m lucky. I opened a Case of not recieved item. But I can extend it out if I knew there was any help from him!! He 1st said he was Scared of Fed Ex & UPS because they damaged items from him before that UPS damaged $700.00 in goods & he was out. He 1st said he would deliver it which was OK. Then I told him to take it to Federal Express

and they would Pack it & Ship it to me. I told him to get a Carboard box the size of 24”x 24” x 24” & they use a lot of Bubble Rap & lots of Stifoam packing. He say’s it’s at a friends house & he told a friend to Ship it to me last Saturday. I’d be willing to take a Bus to Ohio but then I’d have to worry about how to get my German Shepherd Dog on the Bus. She isn’t totally trained yet. And I’m a walking Pharmacy. So I don’t want people seeing me take all these Pain Pill’s I’m on. I really want the Reel to Reel tape deck so what can I do Legelly nothing? He already has 3 strikes against him. So what can be done to get my unit

Message 6 of 6
latest reply