cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TC8305C Gateway Wireless Router. Now Comcast says it is one of theirs.

I bought this router in Sept. 2016 and it worked fine until September 2017. Comcast sent me a letter saying that they would begin charging me rent because it belongs to them. I fought with them for 4 months and received credit for their rental charge, then they would not give me any more and said to either return the modem to them and buy another one or pay the rental fee. I finally bought a new one from Best Buy.

Tried to contact the seller begining on Feb 1st and have sent 2 additional requests for information, nothing! If the seller can explain to me why this modem should not be returned to Comcast instead of to them for credit I will be satisified.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Technicolor TC8305C Gateway Wireless Router. Now Comcast says it is one of theirs.

It's unfortunately very simple in this case, because you purchased the modem such a long time ago. It's been long enough that the seller owes you nothing. Even if you open a case with eBay you're likely to be told immediately that you bought this thing a year and a half ago and your window to settle disputes with the seller has been closed a long time.

Arguably this is stolen property, and the obstacles between you and your refund are large and time-consuming, and probably not worth the cost in time and effort for the amount of money you'll get back. What was it, 50-100 bucks? Are you willing to spend hours of your time filing and then following up on a claim? Is it easy for you to travel to the seller's place of residence? Do you think you can do it without hiring a lawyer?

You could work it another way. You had been using this modem for a year before Comcast decided to inform you that it belonged to them. Comcast really shouldn't have done that.. had they started charging you rent immediately, or better yet, brought the issue up at the time of activation, then you would have known immediately that there was something fishy and could have returned it while you still had a chance. But their dawdling for a year left you holding the bag. They say possession is nine tenths of the law... that isn't really true, but it is possible that by failing to assert their claim of ownership in a timely manner they demonstrated a significant failure to control their property... making the claim of ownership weak when it comes to this specific modem. You might conceivably get a lawyer to compel them to drop the rental charge and allow you to keep using "your" modem from now on.

But again, that will take you days or weeks or even months, possible time spent in your local civil court with comcast, and a lawyer's fee that surely exceeds ten times the cost of the best modem available right now at best buy. Unless you have literally nothing else to do with your time it's probably a poor investment.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply