cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV-7 tube tester question

So I have a question. I'm wondering what the shunt is set at when testeing a Western Electric 205D. The reason I ask is that I recently sold one and the buyer claims it is no good. I had someone test it on his TV-7 at 68. His picture proof shows his TV-7 shunt set at 0 and was wondering if this is correct. I mean I packed this tube well and double boxed it!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

repairelectronics
Trailblazer
What kind of test did the buyer do? did he need an adapter? some tubes & testers need a special adapter so pins will fit correctly and power the cathode.

When all is said and done the only meaningful test is for emissions, above 70% of spec all is good. The shunt setting for transconductance is the most meaningless test, most testers just output an arbitrary number so you can tube match a pair.

The most important initial setting is the voltage line level, adjust it at power up and again during emissions test, the small voltage drop when the heater fires up will skew the results if not re-adjusted correctly.

I would also skip all those fancy tube testers and get a cheap and simple emissions tester. Take a picture of the meter with tube and include in your auction.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thanks for your reply.

Originaly the 205D was tested for me on a TV-7 using an adaptor. In my buyers photo, he doesn't use an adaptor with his TV-7 but the filament is glowing. I will contact him and ask why he has no adaptor.

Regards,

Doug

Message 3 of 3
latest reply