cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential bidder asking for IMEI number?

A potential bidder has just emailed me asking for the IMEI number of the phone I have up for auction. Isn't that the number used to unlock it? Are they checking to see if it's stolen? That's just info you don't need unless you win the auction - which of course they'll find out when they get it anyway.

So why would they want it? Any ideas?

Message 1 of 185
latest reply
184 REPLIES 184

It is highly *inconvenient* to be out of the money AND the phone for WEEKS, eh?

I've been burned by eBay (seller) before...for hundreds of dollars.  This last experience clinches it...

Message 181 of 185
latest reply

@catherinzakore0 wrote:

This^^^

I'm out a phone for weeks because I couldn't check the IMEI number before I bought.

Weeks to wait for a refund.  Weeks and weeks and weeks.  I have not been able to communicate with friends and family for weeks...during the 'holidays'.

eBay; never again

No need to be dramatic, just go to Walgreens and buy a $10 phone, have your number ported then take some time to find the phone you want then re-port the number.

Amazon, eBay, or any other online classifieds is gonna be the same, also, for the most part, any third-party phone you buy is gonna be questionable until after you hit the 6-month mark...

Message 182 of 185
latest reply

For a seller that states "no returns", should I look elsewhere?

Message 183 of 185
latest reply

@dad004 wrote:

For a seller that states "no returns", should I look elsewhere?

To make it easy for you, purchase within the USA with an estimated delivery date of no more than 5 business days.
Sellers no return policy has no effect on a defective item, the seller will have no choice but to supply you with a prepaid return label if you find the phone defective within 30 days of receipt.

Message 184 of 185
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 185 of 185
latest reply