cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it naive to expect a vintage laptop delivered with PSU if not mentioned in the listing?

I bought a vintage 486 laptop (). In the listing the laptop was powered on when the photos were taken. I received the laptop without the PSU although it was not mentioned in the advert. The laptop has no writing on it what Voltage it works on. When asked the seller he said he did't include PSU becuse it would have destroyed the laptop during transit. He also said it takes the most common PSU and without PSU the laptop is nice and square. Without any bubblewrap or foam he just simply put it in a cardboard box which was perfectly fit around the laptop. The laptop has no known branding apart from a label saying : NOTEBOOK COMPUTER FCC ID:FMAK9200C. Google didn't come back to me with good results so I asked the seller what is the voltage and wattage. No answer.
now I have a vintage laptop that I don't know wheter it survived the delivery without internal damage as I have no PSU and no proper advice from seller.
Am I too naive to think that a laptop should come with power supply unit unless it is mentioned "no PSU included"?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Is it naive to expect a vintage laptop delivered with PSU if not mentioned in the listing?

repairelectronics
Trailblazer
All the sold vintage 486 laptops I searched had a name brand associated with them, what was cost and the title of your auction?

Anyways if this was sold as used working then the power supply should come with it as it can not operate without it.

Go to the resolution center and open a case of missing parts or defective item. If the seller is in the UK they will have to send you the missing parts or a prepaid postage label to mail it back to them for a full refund.

By the way, FCC ID:FMAK9200C comes back with this info:
Nan Tan Computer Co. 1995, Laptop Computer, Maximum Video Resolution: 640 x 480
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Without seeing the original listing it's hard to give good advice.

I disagree with repairelectronics who stated to the effect that even if the PS was not shown or specified, the laptop cannot run without it so it has to be included.  Of course a PS (or a stand-alone battery charging station) would eventually be needed to charge the battery, but that is immaterial to the Seller's obligations on eBay, which are:

1.  List the item in the correct eBay catgory and using the correct eBay condition code.

2.  Describe the item with clear pix and accurate text.

3.  Deliver the item in as-described condition to the Buyer within the specified shipping time frame.

So it comes back to the description, which as of this moment, we don't have access to.

My criteria for this one would be, if the power supply is shown in the pix and/or refered to in the text, it is included and should have been sent by the Seller.  If not in the pix and not in the description, it is not included and should not have been sent by the Seller.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

First, the OP states that it was shown powered up and no mention of missing parts, then says the power supply wasn't included because it wouldn't fit in the box and assume would cost the seller more money to ship in a larger box so they left it out.

This is a "dead on arrival" or defective item situation caused by seller greed.

The OP seems to be MIA so until we see the actual ad copy it could be seen otherwise.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

If I did not see it in the photos, then I would be inclined to ask just to make sure.

But, if there's a photo of the computer powered up, and it shows even the last quarter inch of the cord plugged into the computer, then it's technically included in the photo. That the thing was turned on implies that a power supply existed when it was photographed, because noone would believe that the battery has been charged all this time and it powered right up after being in the closet for 20 years.

No, I don't think you're naive.. if you buy a car you expect it to have seats, even if you can't see them in the photo. The power supply is a pretty important part of the system. If it's not included the seller should be specific about that.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I have the same computer with original PSU. The PSU has the following information labeled:

ILAN ELEC. LTD.

Model: F1560

AC INPUT: 100-230V ~ 1.0A Max

50-60Hz

FUSE RATING: F2A/250V

DC OUTPUT: 12V-24V 34W Max

DATE CODE: 9549

Message 6 of 6
latest reply