cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedEx shipping label charge is ridiculous

This really does suck any sale on eBay right out of you. I've had two selling transactions that resulted in FedEx charges that exceed the original shipping estimate PLUS the shipping label costs in the order of $6. I know this America and you can charge whatever you want for a service, but a shipping label that I'm printing up? 

I've always been wary of FedEx and you wouldn't get this **bleep** from UPS or USPS. I'll swallow these 2 charges but I'm moving over to another method of shipping for good. Thanks for the hidden costs, FedEx.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: FedEx shipping label charge is ridiculous

I know you are not going to like me saying this @2-fathom1 but when you ship via FedEx, you agree to these charges. They do this if the size or weight of the package itself is different then what is declared on the shipping label. 

This is why I like to stick with USPS. FedEx scares me

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/current-rates/surcharges-and-fees.html

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

repairelectronics
Trailblazer

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

repairelectronics
Trailblazer

This eBay/FedEx scam has been going on for the last decade, I can't believe people are still falling for it, at least it won't happen to you again but they will continue to thrive on theft and deception for every new person that comes along.

eBay should actually wash their contriving hands of this scam by posting a large warning message stating how FedEx will scam you before allowing you to continue to the shipping page.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@2-fathom1"exceed the original shipping estimate" ... making sure I'm understanding this.

After you box it up, you weigh it for the final total weight, measure it, and enter the actual weight and dimensions on the shipping page, buy the label, print it out, send it = then later, you see an additional charge from Ebay/Fedex for $6 after it's been shipped?

Is that what happened?

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

UPS can bite you as well.   It isn't just FedEx

Some of it is from surcharges that are not in the initial estimated cost that eBay displays. To me that is a "fail" on the eBay end.

They aren't "hidden charges" in the real world of shipping, just in the eBay world of shipping.

I suppose a sudden increase in "fuel surcharges" can not display in the eBay estimate, but have read of some getting the "residential delivery" surcharge. Not sure how that gets missed.

Then there are sometimes gigantic charges (double the cost, or hundreds of $$$) from FedEx, or UPS that just can not seem to be explained. Most post failure at trying to resolve because FedEx/UPS say talk to eBay (eBay is the true customer), and eBay says talk to FedEx/UPS

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@repairelectronics wrote:

This eBay/FedEx scam has been going on for the last decade, I can't believe people are still falling for it, at least it won't happen to you again but they will continue to thrive on theft and deception for every new person that comes along.

eBay should actually wash their contriving hands of this scam by posting a large warning message stating how FedEx will scam you before allowing you to continue to the shipping page.

I don't see how it is a scam tbh. The seller is fully responsible for declaring the weight and size of the package before it it shipped. I shipped through UPS and FedEx and never had an issue with them. I am aware of the surcharges, so I always measure and weigh twice.

Ebay will give an estimate for the weight and size for the item before it it shipped, hence why it can be off and there are charges. I was shipping a book to someone and the label said 2 pounds. So I went to the Self-Serve kiosk and it said 5 pounds. I was able to make a new label before that got out of hand

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

As the origin starter for this topic,  I wrote it with a bit of heat under the collar and couldn't figure the Fedex way of charging their fees.  It turns out it's the eBay fees that I didn't understand. It's based on the item selling price plus shipping and some of their fees to get to their 12.35% in fees. It seems like an odd model to get to the actual seller's fees.  I guess everyone's in it to make money but sellers are forced to do something to not lose out as much from their selling price. I just need to figure mine out.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Woo-hoo! It looks like I beat everyone in this topic for fedex upcharge. For fedex ground package dimmed 23x3x3 weighing 2lb from Illinois to NJ fedex upcharged me to a total of $55! What a scam!

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Oh man, I feel for you! I imagine you could speak to Fed-Ex. Customer support will look into it and email you if they "find" something they did wrong. For your sake, I hope that's the case.

Honestly, every shipping transaction out of eBay seems to be a gamble that hopefully falls into what you anticipated and can tolerate paying. My experience is that I always pay more. I recently got up charged at UPS for residential delivery, for which I had declared originally. It comes down to this; don't bother trusting anything about the anticipated shipping charge on eBay and other sites; experience, and scraping through all the fine print about the seller's responsibility will gain you the knowledge and even then, if you're not an everyday experienced seller, you take your chances and hope nothing too serious comes up.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Fedex is the worst.  They're the only shipper I've ever used that leaves packages at the end of the driveway in any weather.  They've run over my childs scooter and even once ran over the very package they put down IN THE DRIVEWAY!  They put it behind their own truck then backed over it when they left!  Where do they find these people? 

Their charges are outrageous.  The employees working at these shipping companies are getting paid too much.  When everyone is paid like a surgeon the whole thing will collapse.  Mechanics make as much as doctors used to.  It's ridiculous.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@celynka 

There are many posts today about a current FedEx issue. Apparently, eBay is working on it. 
Fuel surcharges, residential delivery, dimensional weight, these are extras FedEx tacks on at the end. 
The current FedEx issue today, may or may not be connected to these extras. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/bd-p/shipping-returns-db

Issues with FedEx and their surcharges is probably why PirateShip won’t deal with them. 

As you can see, the Original Post turned out to be a misunderstanding about fees. 
 Post 8. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply