cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed with Turntable for vinyl I just bought, seeking advice

Hello all & thanks for reading. Briefly, I bought a used turntable to play my old vinyl records using "Buy it Now." I also added a SquareTrade warranty at checkout. The item arrived fairly well packaged, needing assembly: platter and tonearm were removed and enclosed in additional packaging, this is probably the right way. So good so far. I placed the platter on the spindle, fired it up and verified it would spin.

2 problems:

- The platter needs a little "push" to get it going most of the time.

- There is a slight "wobble" like the spindle is not straight up, or something

FWIW, the condition was listed as: "Turntable is in perfect working condition and great physical condition..."

I've never used SquareTrade before, so I'm unsure what the best approach is for resolution. Should I reach out to the seller first, or SquareTrade? If the seller, what link/button do I choose to begin the resolution process so I'm fair to myself & the seller?

Thanks for any ideas...

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Reach out to the seller first. Explain what's wrong with the turntable. If the seller doesn't offer a solution, open a INAD from the resolution center at the bottom of the page.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Reach out to the seller first. Explain what's wrong with the turntable. If the seller doesn't offer a solution, open a INAD from the resolution center at the bottom of the page.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for replying. Yes, this was my first thought as well. The SquareTrade thing just "got me thinking." So I reached out, we traded a few messages (he had a few things to try) and then he suggested I take it to a local repair shop at his expense for evaluation to see what needs to be done. Seems we're on a good track.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Is the repair shop going to bill the seller directly?

Don't have work done and pay for it and expect the seller to pay you back. Hopefully he is honest and will pay it.

If you have any work done on the turntable, that will void your MBG because you will not be able to send it back in the same condition as the seller shipped it.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

repairelectronics
Trailblazer
Is this a direct drive or belt drive? does it have strobe marks? how does the record sound?
As said before opening anything for repair will void all warranties, your seller may be honest in the fact that it may be cheaper to have it looked at verses him paying return shipping.
Just know that after 30 days past delivery you will have to pay for return shipping on any and all warranties.

Extended warranties are generally a fools purchase as they seldom payout. What is the make and model of the turntable?
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

If this is a USB-powered turntable like the ION, expect that "needs a little push" to be normal. Turntables consume a lot of electric power, and USB ports don't provide very much; even the "high-powered" ones.

Also, the slight wobble makes me suspect that something got into the spindle bearing. It would put additional load on the motor and cause the spindle to sit off-axis like you describe. I would very carefully examine the spindle and the table and make sure there isn't a piece of dirt or packing material in there. If you run it like that for any length of time, depending on the make and model, you could possibly damage the motor or bearing.

If those two hints don't solve the mystery, it's possible that something heavy fell on the platter while it was mounted, bending it. That would be a tough one to work out because it would not have happened during shipping. You and the seller would have to work out whether it happened at your place or his.

Good luck!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply