cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Girl Doll Fixer-Upper Question

Hi Dollie People.

I need some help/advice on fixing up an American Girl doll.  I bought her in the summer to use as a model for sewing clothes.  

One side of her face is caved in a little, not bad, and I would like to know if I could maybe boil water, slowly pour it on the one side, try to re-shape it or use the heat of a blow dryer to try and shape it back?  

I know nothing about the American Girls, just that they are expensive, LOL.

She's perfect in every other way.  She came with her case, which I fixed, some clothes, her box, etc.  Bargain price.....drum roll... $2.00, lol.

I wanted to try to fix her and give her to my Grand Niece with patterns and materials to sew for her.  She has a sewing machine, but her Mother has no interest in sewing stuff.  Grand Niece sews pretty well.

And do 7 or 8 year olds still play with these dolls?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: American Girl Doll Fixer-Upper Question

Oh yes, girls still play with these.  Yes boiling water or a hair dryer can reshape it. Be careful you don't get burnt. The hair / eyelashes, can also melt if the dryer is too hot.

I would think the best way is to pour the hot water inside the head until it pops out, then pour in ice water to set it. Make sure you drain the head and get it really dry so it doesn't mildew.

Or you can send her to the AG hospital for a new head..

Life could be wonderful if people would leave you alone
~Charlie Chaplin~

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Oh yes, girls still play with these.  Yes boiling water or a hair dryer can reshape it. Be careful you don't get burnt. The hair / eyelashes, can also melt if the dryer is too hot.

I would think the best way is to pour the hot water inside the head until it pops out, then pour in ice water to set it. Make sure you drain the head and get it really dry so it doesn't mildew.

~Charlie Chaplin~
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@chaplinssmile wrote:

Thank you chaplinssmile.

I'll try the hair dryer first, and make sure I shield her eyes and hair with a towel. 

If that doesn't work, I'll remove her head and try the boiling water treatment.

Is there a charge to send her out for repair at AG?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

There is a charge for the new head. It used to be on the AG site but they’ve removed the prices ( I hate that , how do you know if you can afford it or not?)  They have their phone number posted so I guess you can call them and ask. 

~Charlie Chaplin~
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@chaplinssmile wrote:

Back to say the hair dryer trick worked well on her mishap, lol.  I just kept heating the vinyl, and shaping somewhat with my hands and the slight indentation came out.  Took a couple of tries over the course of an hour or so, but it worked without removing her head.

Thanks for the time on this and the help tips, chaplinssmile. 

She is as good as new now.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply