cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking Mini-Risks

I just read a brief post on Etsy about taking mini-risks as a route to increased productivity, which had a link to a longer blog post on the same topic. It seem like a good topic for our group, too.

The blog talks mostly about shy people taking social risks, but I think the advice would apply equally to taking small risks as a seller as well. Like listing something you've never listed before, asking business advice about something, etc.

At least for me, I think it also can apply to taking little risks connected to areas where I have medical/physical problems. I

Here are the links...

http://www.etsy.com/teams/5002/etsy-success/discuss/9927998/?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_...

http://www.jonathanfields.com/blog/how-to-pick-up-a-stranger-or-produce-brilliant-work/

As I posted in the daily chat thread, the first mini-risk I'm going to take is photgraphing and scanning larger items to sell, It may put my upper body into spasm, but it won't cause permanent injury and just may turn out to be no problem at all. And I may make more money, too! 🙂

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.
― Plato
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Taking Mini-Risks

Hi Charlie,

Many years ago I did a lot of volunteer work with elderly at our YMCA. 

They had 2 doctors working with me so it was a very nice program.

We helped many elderly progress all the time. It was a wonderful experience.

The one thing I learned from them was:
"Their biggest fear is being taken from their home"

Your post reminded me so much of them. You feel better being right at home. Hope your problems come to an end they sound difficult.

Glad your found our group,

DWB

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

I appreciate the thought and care, and I do have multiple problems, but I've seen people so much worse off than me that my heart just weeps for them every time I think about them.

Long term, llifelong problems can break us down mentally over time. Some, like most of us here maybe, are able to pull ourselves out of it and some others just can't, aren't able to. Enough pain over a long period of time WILL break any person down. Been there done that.

But working, having something to do and a purpose in life is what keeps me going, and I'll bet the same thing keeps other sellers here going too,

It's just too bad that life beats some of us up so badly.

Charlie
Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Wow, so many things I could say here in reply to what's been posted.

Having a purpose definitely makes a huge difference for me. I like the weeks when sales are relatively good... it keeps me more energized and motivated. During the slow weeks, I really have to fight myself not to get down about it.

My very elderly uncle had a series of small strokes that impaired his judgment so he was no longer able to live at home and had to move to assisted living. It was a really tough move for him... he had a really hard time accepting not being home. It's one thing when we choose to move to a different house or location, but when you don't have a choice it can be pretty disempowering.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.
― Plato
Message 18 of 18
latest reply