cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Health insurance and medical cost issues

Thank you for requesting such a good topic buckeystatebargains.

Then someone responded with "ditto".

I really appreciate all of you and the kindness among members.

Be safe out there

whotoldya

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Health insurance and medical cost issues

agnessrainn said:

I don't take offense at your opinion ... but would add that as one on disability I still pay taxes out of my disability check so I continue to support myself in the end. 

Yikes! Taxes are deducted from SSD checks? You mean the gov't take a cut from what they “give” me?!? 😮

Thanks for the heads up!

BTW, my mouthy posts here are not meant to trash the disabled. I'm blessed to be a part of a compassionate society (for the most part).

-- Edited by buckeyestatebargains at 03/14/2012 6:33 AM PDT
Message 16 of 29
latest reply

I wouldn't say I'm a victim of our health insurance system. I've always paid for health insurance. Up until a couple of years ago when things went bad with my ex, I was still paying for his health insurance. It was over $600 a month. I was told he couln't change it because no other company would cover him due to pre-existing conditions. That's something that's going to change next year with Obamacare. Unfortunately, Obamacare didn't address how much the insurance companies can charge and I'm going to guess that anyone who has health problems is going to pay more than healthy people.

I still pay for insurance. Money is taken out of my SSD check every month for Medicare and I pay extra for the extended coverage. So I'm actually paying about $300 a month for coverage and meds. And that doesn't count what I take that's not prescription.

The United States is the only developed nation that doesn't have universal health coverage. And we're nowhere near the top 10 in quality of care. I don't blame any president or any politician. I blame the insurance companies and the pharmeuctical companies. And anyone who owns stock in them.

Either I pay for my meds or I pay for heat or a/c. This month I have to take my cats to the vet. So I haven't been running the heat.

Sorry to have used the word “victim.” I “assumed” that your story was like so many I've known. But of course, we all have our own story, and yours seems more complicated, at least by what you've told us here.

I'm sorry money is so tight for you . . . but I'm glad you have your priorities straight. Give your kitties a hug for me.:-x

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

The United States is the only developed nation that doesn't have universal health coverage. And we're nowhere near the top 10 in quality of care. I don't blame any president or any politician. I blame the insurance companies and the pharmeuctical companies. And anyone who owns stock in them.

Well, I blame all the presidents and politicians of the last 100 years. They were all so self-seeking that they couldn't/wouldn't do what was right for our country.

Oddly, I don't much blame insurance companies. They can't be expected to do what woud put them out of business. It's up to the rest of us - people and politicians - to do that.

It was - what? during World War I that there was first talk about universal health care? Since then, we've come up with Medicaid and Medicare. That's a start.

BTW, Obamacare stinks. The plan is awful, mostly because insurance companies are still involved, taking their cut. But you know what? With all it's flaws, Obamacare is so much better than what we have now.

To all its critics, I say: Don't like it? Come up with a better plan or shut up. The status quo is not acceptable.

Ok, I'll shut up now. . . . 😉

-- Edited by buckeyestatebargains at 03/14/2012 7:13 AM PDT
Message 18 of 29
latest reply

Buckeye ... taxes aren't withheld from your ssd check but at the end of the year you have to claim it as income ... so, the first year I was on SSD I didn't have any taxes withheld and we wound up owing because of my untaxed income.  Hence, I have since had 15% withheld for taxes.

Kate

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

I've been receiving SSD since 2006 and have never had to pay taxes on it. I did have to pay self-employment tax because of the eBay business.Social Security allows you to earn a certain amount of money before you have to pay income tax on it. I don't know what it is but I've never even come close. I think it's either $12,000 or $16,000.

I should add that I'm single so had no joint return to deal with.

-- Edited by soloinar at 03/14/2012 1:35 PM PDT
Message 20 of 29
latest reply

Buckeye...I agree with you 100%. I don't believe health care should be a profit-making industry. But it is. I used to teach at a trade school and a number of the instructors we had there were doctors that had small local practices. They couldn't afford to stay in business because of the insurance costs. A lot of doctors won't take patients who have Medicare as their only coverage. It's because the profits aren't there. Don't get me wrong...I'm not blaming the doctors, although there are doctors with outrageous fees. It's the malpractice insurance along with the overhead.

I'm not crazy about Michael Moore but his movie on health care really hit the nail on the head.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

I have taxes withheld because my husband is still employed full time.  That's all.

Kate

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

To look at root causes, I think it goes back to the origins of this country. Our culture has such a strong history of the "self-made man" philosophy that concepts like universal health care go against the grain for a lot of people.

It's not my philosophy, or what I think is right. But I think it is deeply ingrained in many communities.

It's long bothered me that our society is mainly geared to people who are in the "productive" decades of their lives and who are part of the mainstream working world. IMHO, far too often children, the elderly, the infirm, the disabled, the poor, etc., are ignored and/or neglected.

-- Edited by lehman-parker at 03/14/2012 8:20 PM PDT

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.
― Plato
Message 23 of 29
latest reply

I remember going to management seminars over the years and a question that was always raised was who was the better hire...the older person or the younger person. Invariably the younger person was deemed the better hire.

I never went along with that. I always felt that there should be a balance between the enthusiasm and fresh ideas coming from the younger and the experience and wisdom coming from the older.

Unfortunately American culture has not woken up to the value of our seniors. I think we may be the ONLY culture that hasn't. And it puzzles me because there are more people 60+ than any other age group. And despite the economy, it's the demographic spending the most money. Whether you want to look at the value of the baby boomers'  life experience or financial situation, either way points to it being common sense to value us.

Guess we're running out of common sense too...never would have guessed that watching the recent debates...ok, now I'll shut up!

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

I may stir up things here, but I see the insurance thing from a whole different perspective.

Hubby had full insurance before he got injured and went through the disability process and got it on first try after surgeries put him down for most of a year.  He is no longer "insurable".  I've had insurance off and on, currently "off" for past 6 or 7 years or more.  I've had minor needs, but mostly things like pneumonia or the like that hits and runs.  The children are covered by medicaid due to disability of their own. 

I know places like Cuba have everyone on same healthcare--well, mostly.  My husband's family is from there--his dad came here right as Castro started his revoluccion.  But some of the family taht stayed there, are doctors, nurses, other healthcare workers and are hired out under Castro to go to other countries to work.  Abuela (Papa's mom) had to have a major surgery in her 80's...nothing big here in the US, but in Cuba it was, and it took a doctor in the family to tell Castro he refused to work in another country until she got her surgery--and it still took over 5 years to get.  This was in the 1990's, and from what our family on the island say it has only gotten worse.  People like Chavez go there, but pay cash for treatment and get top notch service--there is a double standard for those who pay cash and are NOT Cubans--they get top service, but those who are citizens and are under the state paid system, no.  The facilities are horribly falling apart, the staff are all paid the same regardless of what you do, so no drive to be the best at what you do, there are few supplies, etc.  And this is what folks want for the US.  We have the best system in the world--costly yes, but there's a drive to grow and gain information and take care of our people, rather than let them die due to the cost of a bottle of aspirin. 

Now, I don't expect yall to agree.  I am just writing what I see and know from our family's experience in the foreign healthcare system in Cuba.  Hubby and I have done years in healthcare as workers here, and our family works it in Cuba.  If you all could see the difference, you'd truly appreciate the private system we've had here.... 

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, lean not unto thine own understandings. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Message 25 of 29
latest reply

I understand what you are saying about the health care system in Cuba. My ex-husband was from the Dominican Republic and those of his family who still lived there (this was back in the 1980's) used to come to the US.

The problem today is that our system no longer provides for people who don't have private insurance. The list of doctors accepting patients on Medicare and Medicade is getting smaller and smaller. The cost of the additional insurance through Medicare (including Rx coverage) is going up and the list of drugs covered is getting smaller.

I've stood in line waiting for my Rx to be filled and have watched people find out how much their Rx is going to cost and not be able to pay for it. Something is really wrong!

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

I hear ya there!  I see my mother in law go without medicines (she's got a ton of health problems, mid 70's) due to the cost.  My FIL has a hair too much in retirment from working all his life to get medicaid for them, so they must pay out around a grand a month in just co pays and uncovered medicines.  Papa has cancer as well, and that is out of pocket expense.  They choose between the medicines they feel they absolutely must have, and food/utilities. 

Hubby has medicare only as well (we do not qualify for medicaid due to income..again, just a hair out of range), and our expenses for just his copays has went to nearly 300 a month, where it was once 100.  Same Rx's, different month.  He is starting to get to where we must choose between some necessities and him having medicines.  This is one reason I try to sell to earn a bit extra.

On my own, uninsured, I just recently (like last week), had to go to the ER for the yearly pneumonia run.  This time, I had to choose between the Rx's I wanted to fill, as they were so exorbitant there was no way I could fill all 4.  The cash price was so high....  I am supposed to be on insulin for diabetes, but at $200 a pen, plus $150 for a dr visit at the community health clinic (this is at the 1/2 price rate we qualify for based on income), plus diabetes equipment, it just don't happen.  I've asked for a rx for the vials and buy the syringes separate, but it's like the nurse practitioner (never see a dr there) doesn't commprehend this idea, but would only cost $50 for the same amount that is in the pen...only difference I'd be pulling the insulin myself vs having it in a dial pen.  And since I have an RN for hubby, he could do the insulin draw just as easy...  But since we cannot afford the 3 pens per month I need, I go without. 

Believe me, I can relate.  But so far the Lord takes care of me, one way or another, and no complications so far, and so I am thankful.

From what I hear, the country will be heading to the way of the community health centers, and if so, it will only get worse.  Hubby complains of the few dollars per rx he has to pay now, then I remind him that a few dollars is good when you're looking at $200 or more for an rx that you need 3 of.  I remind him that he can go visit his dr at any time, I must heal on my own unless it's dire dire dire emergency.  No dentist, no eye dr, no medical dr...make do with what I can, and pray for the best.  I've had infections that caused red streaks up arms and legs, and somehow made it without treatment but sure scared hubby--but nothing I could do because I didn't have the $150 cash to visit a nurse practitioner at teh federally funded clinic. 

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, lean not unto thine own understandings. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Message 27 of 29
latest reply

I may stir up things here, but I see the insurance thing from a whole different perspective.

. . . . People like Chavez go there, but pay cash for treatment and get top notch service--there is a double standard for those who pay cash and are NOT Cubans--they get top service, but those who are citizens and are under the state paid system, no.  The facilities are horribly falling apart, the staff are all paid the same regardless of what you do, so no drive to be the best at what you do, there are few supplies, etc.  And this is what folks want for the US.  We have the best system in the world--costly yes, but there's a drive to grow and gain information and take care of our people, rather than let them die due to the cost of a bottle of aspirin. 

Now, I don't expect yall to agree.  I am just writing what I see and know from our family's experience in the foreign healthcare system in Cuba.  Hubby and I have done years in healthcare as workers here, and our family works it in Cuba.  If you all could see the difference, you'd truly appreciate the private system we've had here.... 

Sounds like a nightmare! But I don't suggest changing the health care system itself - just the way we pay for it. The hospital and doctors who are currently giving me excellent care can continue to do so. They may even get a raise because a big percent of my  insurance premium wouldn't go to pay for executives in big buildings, to pay employees whose job it is to deny me care, stockholders, etc.

The good part of our system, we keep.;\

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

.....  I am supposed to be on insulin for diabetes, but at $200 a pen, plus $150 for a dr visit at the community health clinic (this is at the 1/2 price rate we qualify for based on income), plus diabetes equipment, it just don't happen.  I've asked for a rx for the vials and buy the syringes separate, but it's like the nurse practitioner (never see a dr there) doesn't commprehend this idea, but would only cost $50 for the same amount that is in the pen...only difference I'd be pulling the insulin myself vs having it in a dial pen.  And since I have an RN for hubby, he could do the insulin draw just as easy...  But since we cannot afford the 3 pens per month I need, I go without. . . . .

First, have you checked needymeds.org? It's a site that compiles info from drug manufacturers' programs. I've seen

people get thousands of $$$ in drugs, free or very low cost.

Second, if your NP won't listen to you, then you need a pharmacist on your side. A good pharmacist will call the NP & explain the price difference between vials and pens, and get the rx changed. Try a smaller pharmacy for more personalized service, not a huge Walgreens.

Third, as a last resort: Rather than go without insulin, check into

the lower cost insulins. Lantus & Humalog are pricy, Humulin (NPH & regular) is much cheaper and doesn't even require a prescription. Cheaper insulins may not be optimal therapy, but high blood sugar isn't optimal either. (Don't do this unless you are a very well educated diabetic. I'm not a doctor or NP so take this advice cautiously.)

Forth, check again with the friendly pharmacist: Ask if there are alternatives to the other pricey drugs you and hubby are taking. There are miracle drugs on those $4 lists. Use the money you save to eat better. 😉

Ok, my insomnia is wearing off (yawn!!) so I'll shut up . . . . good night!B-)

Message 29 of 29
latest reply