cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central Glass Balda - Need Help ID'ing color

I found these etched plates that I've ID'd as Central Glass Balda. They measure 7 3/8" across. They're a faint purple. In bright light, it's hard to see that they purple-ish at all. What would be the color name for these? I've seen something similar listed elsewhere as both orchid and lavender.
Also, if you can't tell the color by the pictures, I'll take more photos during the daylight.

Thank you for your help.
Jennie 

IMG_5191.JPGIMG_5195.JPG

IMG_5198.JPGIMG_5200.JPG

Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Central Glass Balda - Need Help ID'ing color

According to Gene Florence's book, Elegant Glassware of the Depression Era, 13th Ed., the color of your plates is Amethyst. or lilac.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you! 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

If you don't find that they were made in that color, one thing to consider is that they are "sun purple", a coloration caused by clear glass sitting too long in the sunlight. Sorry to be a "Debbie Downer", but this is considered to be a flaw which detracts from value.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

To follow up, here's an interesting article about "sun purple" glass:

http://www.patternglass.com/sunpurple.htm

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Looks like I spoke too soon in suspecting "sun purple". Central Glass' "Balda" pattern was, indeed, made in a very pale purple/amethyst color. Sorry 'bout that.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

No problem! Glad to find it was an authentic color. Very pretty. And I always enjoy the discussion and education from this forum.

Jennie

Message 7 of 7
latest reply