cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overpriced comics

If you did a quick search you usually find some way overpriced comics listed with the Buy Now option. The worst offenders list it as 99 cents, but have a reserve set too high. How to these sellers price their comcs? The lower grades are usually above Overstreet and other online price guides.  What you think? How does the seller really price their books? Take a number out of their hat or actually do some research. Sellers seem to be doing some research on those higher grades, as they don't want to loose money on high grades. OTOH, at auctions people just bid to win - some bidders going way above those guide pricings.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Overpriced comics

Those are the kind of books nanpong's buys. i wonder if he agrees with you.

They are not overpriced if the books are moving at the higher prices. If not, i suppose it might mean the economy has improved to the point sellers are willing to wait until they get the price they want.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You have any examples?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I wouldn't want to attack any one seller in particular. It just wouldn't be fair and also taken the other way, plus may not follow eBay rules. It is a general question and you can do a quick search and see what you get. Just wondered if anyone else had noticed this trend. 

A general example are those New Funnies, which I use to be able to get from 99 cents and upwards and most were priced under $10 or 20. Western comics too, they are getting to be quite pricey now. Last year I could have bought a bunch of 1940s to 50s non-DC and non-Marvels for real cheap. Not anymore, now Fawcett comics are selling for hundered dollars for the bettter grades, and low grades upwards of $45. It could just be a cyclic thing, and prices will go down again. But I can kick myself for not picking up more in prior years.  

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

That was 'hundreds' of dollars. I have started my collections of the Golden era a little too late. Everything has gone up - except my wages seem to get smaller each year.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Those are the kind of books nanpong's buys. i wonder if he agrees with you.

They are not overpriced if the books are moving at the higher prices. If not, i suppose it might mean the economy has improved to the point sellers are willing to wait until they get the price they want.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I definitely agree that GA prices have gone way up for the desirable titles. I found an example in my own collection recently, a Johnny Dynamite #10 in VG for $47. I noticed book is only $24, but don't care since it was an issue I really wanted. But there aren't very many issues of Johnny Dynamite, and something like 300 issues of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories. Not too many '50s issues of those in VG are going for $47.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

As a buyer, a suggestion for you is to find some sellers or stores that have a pricing system that lets the buying public decide the real value of a comic. My store policy is to start EVERY comic at .99 cents and YOU the buyers decide. It could be AMZAING FANTASY #15 and I would start it at .99 cents. If it is hot, you will all bid and it will sell. If not, it goes into the store (An example of 'in-store' pricing is that a Bronze age comic will be listed at $2.99, Copper age, $1.99 etc.) I follow other sellers who have a simular policy to mine so I know I am not the only one. HAPPY BIDDING TO YOUALL!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

A comic, like anything else on ebay, is only going to have the value anyone is willing to pay for it.  If you are looking for a particular issue then  it would make sense to do the work on checking a variety of sources for grade/price.  Some ask above GEM MINT prices, while others are reasonable.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I have been in this selling Comics Business since 1972 and a collector for 14 years before that and what is happening to the market if you look close is: ALL HIGH grade Silver is never really for sell here if it's a Marvel Key unless it is Slabbed by CGC or CBCS and those books are selling at a 275% above Guide Market because of Speculators if not more.

As soon as the Speculators stop making money then the market should change a little and we will come back to where everyone can afford Comics maybe not all of them but some keys are dropping like rocks now like Iron Man #55 and X-Factor #6. There are some stipulations as Horror Books are HARD to find and they bring a premium in any condition because of the Great and Gruesome art as well as the first Ten or so Issues of any Key Marvel 1960's. Do like me and buy Low Grade and you will be able to finish your Collection faster and you will definetley be happier. CHEERS

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I sell books, as in hardbound and paperback, and comics. A few years back I sold a massive collection of high-grade undergrounds - mostly NM from the early '70s.  I still sell comics regularly along with books and magazines. 

There is no rhyme or reason why some sellers price items the way they do. You and I both go to the guide see what the published price might be and then use that as a guide. Some of us go to past eBay listing to see what similar items in a similar grade sell for.  I usually price lower prices items - value less than $10 - a buck or two or even three below guide. I want stuff to sell.

I just sold a used book - hardbound by Steven King - for something like $6.00. I don't always do this but sometimes I check out my buyers and get interested when they turn out to be sellers. (I have two IDs one for buying and one for selling.)

This guy had the same book that he said was a first edition, first printing that he had up for $49. That is roughly a $45 price differential.  Now I had seen this listing before when I tried to price my King book and I just wondered why he thought this $5 book should go for $49. 

That underground comic collection that I sold belonged to my brother-in-law and now he has some other stuff he wants me to sell. What I said to him last week holds true. There are millions of shoppers on eBay and millions of items. You just have to connect with that one person who wants what you are selling. Everything sells - eventually. Someone will buy that book for $5 (they just did) and another person will buy the $49 version of the same thing. It just can take a lot longer to sell that $49 item. 

While we both sell on eBay I am not in the same business as him.  I sell high priced items from time to time and will even start them over $100 or $200 or even more but the majority of my sales are in the $7 to $15.00 range. I try to price items fairly and that is reflected in my feedback. 

Michael 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I also do that same thing from time to time. Have starting price of .99 and a higher - sometimes much higher buy it now price. It is kind of like going after low-hanging fruit. There could be a buyer that absolutely has to have your item and will pay anything to get it and never looks at Overstreet and may not even no it exists. No harm no foul. It will sell for .99 or maybe $12 if you get lucky.

Hey been doing this for close to 20 years and have seen almost everything.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I'm trying to sell DC comics and can't figure out actual value. Does say 400 while I see others at 15. How can I decide a good selling price

Message 12 of 12
latest reply