cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help with this painting

i am not sure if this is a water color are oil painting, it is painted on what looks like hand made paper, it is soft to the touch, the size is 8" by 11", lDSC00604 (2).JPGDSC00606 (2).JPGDSC00607 (2).JPGDSC00608 (2).JPGDSC00611.JPGDSC00613.JPGDSC00605 (2).JPGDSC00612.JPGooks like the south west area, is it folk art, any information.  bill

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hey Bill, hard to say definitely without seeing it in person. Few things, actual watercolor paint is meant to be used so that it's not opaque [like this]. There are three common artists' waterbased paints this could be: acrylic, tempera, gouache. Then it also could be just latex house paint too.

Being that this is more a folk piece, not a artist that likely would be buying premium tubes of gouache, my guesstimate based on the uniform coverage, flat [no sheen], dull colors is that its kids / craft tempera or house paint. cheers, michael

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hey Bill, hard to say definitely without seeing it in person. Few things, actual watercolor paint is meant to be used so that it's not opaque [like this]. There are three common artists' waterbased paints this could be: acrylic, tempera, gouache. Then it also could be just latex house paint too.

Being that this is more a folk piece, not a artist that likely would be buying premium tubes of gouache, my guesstimate based on the uniform coverage, flat [no sheen], dull colors is that its kids / craft tempera or house paint. cheers, michael

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I remember seeing similar, on that same type of paper, while in Mexico in the late 80s to mid 90s. Tourist paintings, tempura or watercolor. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

thanks .  learn some thing every day.  bill

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Based on your description, it sounds like a painting on amate bark paper and, if so, it's likely to be from somewhere in the state of Guerrero in Mexico.  

--

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

thanks maxine.   bill

Message 6 of 6
latest reply