cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with Pewter hallmark

Hi there,
Your kind assistance with that pitcher hallmark identification will be appreciated

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: help with Pewter hallmark

Found one seller atttributing the mark to Baehler:

Baehler pitcher

(link for reference purposes only).

In any event, the "95%" mark means it is modern:

https://www.mearto.com/items/1763-pewter-screwtop-flask

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

At the first link, I see four photos, none of which is a picture of any marks, or even of the bottom of the piece.  I read the description, and that didn't help, either.  When I looked at Baehler marks on-line, they look nothing like the mark on OP's piece.  What am I missing (besides, as is well known, a few brain cells)?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

At the first link, I see four photos, none of which is a picture of any marks, or even of the bottom of the piece.  I read the description, and that didn't help, either.  When I looked at Baehler marks on-line, they look nothing like the mark on OP's piece.  What am I missing (besides, as is well known, a few brain cells)?

The mark's on the lid, but it's hard to see. Go to photo 4 and hover over it, so that it zooms in. The shape of the shield is a little different, but it's 4-5-4 stars and the shading is the same.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Also, there is this one:

lid.JPG

Seller says in the description: "Marked to the base with a Rose touch mark and Baehler Etain Fin Feinzinn to the base of the jug also has a mark of stars in a shield on the top of the jug."

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAEHLER-ETAIN-FIN-FEINZINN-PEWTER-SERVING-JUG-WITH-PEWTER-SHOT-GLASS-ON-T...

Maybe the shape of the shield is important, though - I overlooked it when I posted, but they are different.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

OK.  I see it, sort of.  All the pieces of Baehler I looked at on-line say "Baehler" right on them.    And none of them have this particular stick-figure version of the angel pewter mark, or the shield and stars.  Not that I claim to have done an exhaustive search. 

On the other hand, you're definitely on a winning streak here, so why do I question and quibble?  Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

The above is a cross-post with your Message 5.  I note, though, that the description of the piece in that post says that "Baehler" is marked on the piece.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:
On the other hand, you're definitely on a winning streak here, so why do I question and quibble?  Smiley Very Happy

Yes, I'm on a roll tonight! But you're right about the other Baehler marks, and those two are the only ones I found with the stars-and-shield, so who knows.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

The above is a cross-post.  I note, though, that the description says that "Baehler" is marked on the piece.

Would be happier if they showed it. Maybe they're just working on that assumption because they saw the other listing.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Well, I agree with that, but the description seems to be clearly stating the word's presence.   Frustrating how stingy people are with photos.   Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I never did find another example of the mark on OP's piece, the crude, stick-figure version of the traditional angel stamp, nor can I tell if there's another word or more letters below "Etain Fin":

MARK ON  OP'S PIECEMARK ON OP'S PIECE

By the way, based on the many pieces I did look at on-line, there seem to be a fair number of people who do not know that "Fein Zinn" and "Etain Fin" simply mean "Fine Tin" in German and French.

Anyhow, it's past my bedtime and way past yours, so I'm finished here for tonight. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply