cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I get free antique & collectible appraisals online?

Apparently eBay does not do appraisals. I have posted numerous items and no one has replied. I inherited my parents house full of vintage items so have way too many things to pay for an individual evaluation on each. I don't need a precise value, I just want a ballpark figure to make sure I am not setting a price so high it is unreasonable, or so low I am cheating myself.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Where can I get free antique & collectible appraisals online?

There are probably websites online that would give you an idea of the value of some of your items. Also, there should be research materials in your local public library (if it's open). Most collectibles have been cataloged in books on the particular brand or style of collectible; e.g., cut glass or certain styles of rugs.

You can also try searching "sold items" on eBay to see if similar items have been sold recently. That should give you a range for at least what eBay buyers are paying.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Where can I get free antique & collectible appraisals online?

Proper valuations and appraisals are time-consuming and take knowledge and experience.  They also take a thick hide, because owners are often disappointed in the results.  So why would anyone do them for free?

The exception is for items that will meet a big auction house's minimum.  If you have such items, Sotheby's, Christie's, and Bonham's will accomodate you. 

All you can do is what everyone else does:  Work at it.  It's not easy, but you can do it. 

Decide if you want a fast nickel or a slow dime.  Do you want the items gone quickly and the cash in the bank?  Or can you wait, relist, hope for buyers who'll pay the maximum?

Take an item you want to list.  Do a search on eBay for Completed Listings for the same or a comparable item.  Study both the sold and the unsold items to get an idea of the price you might reasonably expect to get for yours.  Study the "sold" listings to see how the items were presented (keywords, photos, etc.).

Message 3 of 3
latest reply