cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck is this lead box???

Picked up this lead "box" at an auction in PA (box lot) and can't seem to fugure out what it is. It is about 4" square and the metal is pretty heavy and soft - I'm thinking it is lead. The box is built well with no seams that you can see except for where the round opening is separating from the box part. Maybe some kind of a measuring device? It does not open - it's one piece - soild bottom. No markings that we could find. Doubt it has much value but I'd really like to know what it is! Thanks - Mark

900-65 001.JPG

900-65 002.JPG

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: What the heck is this lead box???

I know next to nothing about Chinese pewter. Does it contain lead, like older Western pewter? Would it leave a metallic trace behind if you drew it across paper, the way lead does?

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

I don't know and I don't know, I have just owned a few pieces over the years. All I know is that it seems to be softer than American pewter. Maybe they scrimp on costly materials and it comes out softer. Here is an older Chinese pewter piece that shows a possibility for what the lid might have looked like (- the bails). It could have also had a simple cover over the round bit instead.

Image is loadingExcellent-Antique-chinese-pewter-teapot-details-heavy-Y8-W7-A9
Mouse over to Zoom
-
Click to enlarge

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Ah, I was hoping that you might have a piece lying around to experiment with. I know there are lead testing kits obtainable online or from hardware stores that the OP could use to check for lead content, but if Chinese pewter contains a certain amount of lead anyway (as it easily could), the test wouldn't help to differentiate them.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Thank you all for all the input! Yes - I did look at some Chinese pewter pieces and will continue down that road until I hit another fork. You never know what you might find!  Mark

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

I think it's a pewter tea caddy missing the cover. It's a pretty common size and shape for the 'lesser' caddies. It could be lead, or some combination of lead and tin (pewter). I would imagine that this was for a poor family, though if that poor how could they afford the price of tea? Perhaps after 1812?

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

I think you might be right! At least that's what this seller thinks:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/577542972/antique-handcrafted-soft-pewter-canister?ga_order=most_releva...

Thanks for your help!

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

More than welcome!

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

I thought I was the one that was right. I said it twice. Did you look it up after I told you what it was? I'm the one who kept telling youto look at Chinese pewter!

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

I thought I was the one that was right. I said it twice. Did you look it up after I told you what it was? I'm the one who kept telling youto look at Chinese pewter!

I am a little puzzled by your seeming to be miffed. I never thought that giving advice at these community pages was a race or a challenge? You said "Chinese pewter!'" Fine. I offered a more open-ended explanation, if you will. It is possible that we are both right.

I just feel like in the past few months you have been harassing me in any little way that you can. And I wish that the Lithium moderators would see that like I do.

Just because you disagree with me doesn't mean that I hate you.

Just because I have further information, beyond your own, doesn't mean that I disagree with you or am trying to steal your thunder.

It would be nice it Lithium could see this. Because I feel like I am being harassed; and that you are objectively trying to get me to stop posting here. That's not nice.

If I have an opinion on antiques from time to time, I would like to believe that I can share my knowledge here, without harassment. So far that hasn't been the case, thanks to you.

I really don't feel like I can talk to Lithium about this kind of abuse. I wish I could. These forums would become much more open if they were able to address this type of harassment. Maybe some day?

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

I wanted to point out that my reply was directed at the OP and not at you.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Hello everyone,

This thread is getting a bit heated.  Please remember that it’s fine to disagree with others, but discussion should always remain courteous and respectful.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply