cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kachina is this?

Can anyone identify which kachina this represents?

kachinapin1.jpg

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What kachina is this?

As pointed out already, this really doesn't represent any recognized kachina.  It is someone's fantasy idea that combines features of a number of different kachina figures to give the general impression of what a kachina looks like, that could best be called "generic Southwest-style".

There are several hundred different kachinas, each with its own specific characteristics.   Since even the Hopi and Hopi artists who carve the authentic kachina dolls don't always agree on exactly what each one looks like, or even on the idea of organizing or classifying them,  several books, written by non-Hopi authors, are available to help collectors. 

The Barton Wright book is respected, but probably the most helpful to actual identification is "Hopi Kachina Dolls, with a Key to their Identification" by Harold S. Colton.  Not only does he explain what a kachina is, but he also makes it easier to identify a specific one.

Colton breaks down identification by categories including things such as mask construction; colors used; eye, nose, and mouth representation; headresses; costumes; and accessories carried.   By going through the organized steps toward identification, it saves time spent looking through countless photos trying to find what one is looking for.  It's the  book I would recommend as a first purchase to anyone interested in the subject.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

There is a book by Barton Wright on kachinas that may help. Of course, the authentic kachinas are made from wood and not metal.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Looks more like a earing than a doll.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Oh, I think it is a piece of jewellery, which is why OP phrased it as "which kachina [it] represents."   

think  it may be a warrior, based on ones I've seen (but my experience is pretty limited). 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

As pointed out already, this really doesn't represent any recognized kachina.  It is someone's fantasy idea that combines features of a number of different kachina figures to give the general impression of what a kachina looks like, that could best be called "generic Southwest-style".

There are several hundred different kachinas, each with its own specific characteristics.   Since even the Hopi and Hopi artists who carve the authentic kachina dolls don't always agree on exactly what each one looks like, or even on the idea of organizing or classifying them,  several books, written by non-Hopi authors, are available to help collectors. 

The Barton Wright book is respected, but probably the most helpful to actual identification is "Hopi Kachina Dolls, with a Key to their Identification" by Harold S. Colton.  Not only does he explain what a kachina is, but he also makes it easier to identify a specific one.

Colton breaks down identification by categories including things such as mask construction; colors used; eye, nose, and mouth representation; headresses; costumes; and accessories carried.   By going through the organized steps toward identification, it saves time spent looking through countless photos trying to find what one is looking for.  It's the  book I would recommend as a first purchase to anyone interested in the subject.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@taupou wrote:

Thank you for the reply 🙂  I have the Colton book, and it has a great key to identification, as you mentioned.  I couldn't really find one that perfectly fit this representation, so your suggestion as to it  being a fantasy character is understood. 

My guess is it may be representing an assasin fly Kokopol, if not a flight of fancy as you suggested. 

Regards

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
- John Lennon
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@3eyedfishcatcher wrote:

Looks more like a earing than a doll.

Without any scale in the picture, and not showing the back, I can understand that perspective 🙂

- John Lennon
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

think  it may be a warrior, based on ones I've seen (but my experience is pretty limited). 

When it comes to this kinda stuff, sometimes more experience leads to further misunderstanding 😉    Almost the opposite of a "little learning is a dangerous thing" if you get my drift 🙂

- John Lennon
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

The snake on the mask part is different.  I believe the user that stated that this is made up, but I could be wrong also.

Is there any hall marks??

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@hypertreasure wrote:

@taupou wrote:

Thank you for the reply 🙂  I have the Colton book, and it has a great key to identification, as you mentioned.  I couldn't really find one that perfectly fit this representation, so your suggestion as to it  being a fantasy character is understood. 

My guess is it may be representing an assasin fly Kokopol, if not a flight of fancy as you suggested. 

Regards

Sorry taupou, I was signed into another account when I replied.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

Oh, I think it is a piece of jewellery, which is why OP phrased it as "which kachina [it] represents."   

Sorry maxine if I confused you with earlier reply.  I was signed into another account when I replied.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

The snake on the mask part is different.  I believe the user that stated that this is made up, but I could be wrong also.

Is there any hall marks??

None.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

It might even come under the lower Americas,

Design reminds me more of the modern  stuff from there.  

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I only suggested the earing because is clearly is not a doll which would be the tadeonal use of representing their gods. There is also a hole in the item  that probably would be for some kind of pin,  clearly the poster wants to know which god it represents. My main reason I offered the suggestion that it might be a earing or some kind of jewelry  was to give the poster other possibilities as to what it is so they might find a identical item that may have more information on the item. When I did a google search there was several native American  resource site I qould suggest contacting them to see if they cold look at the item and provide any information..

https://kachina.us/

https://www.pueblodirect.com/pages/kachina-meanings

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@3eyedfishcatcher wrote:

I only suggested the earing because is clearly is not a doll which would be the tadeonal use of representing their gods. There is also a hole in the item  that probably would be for some kind of pin,  clearly the poster wants to know which god it represents. My main reason I offered the suggestion that it might be a earing or some kind of jewelry  was to give the poster other possibilities as to what it is so they might find a identical item that may have more information on the item. When I did a google search there was several native American  resource site I qould suggest contacting them to see if they cold look at the item and provide any information..

https://kachina.us/

https://www.pueblodirect.com/pages/kachina-meanings

Kachinas are featured in many types of southwestern art including silverwork, pottery, basketry, textiles etc.  Many of the dolls and small carved figures are made for the tourist market.  This piece has some age, but it is unlikely the maker will ever be identified.  I think it represents a Fly Assasin Kokopol though it is crude and stylized.

Regards

Message 15 of 16
latest reply