cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this?

My husband and I are stumped as to what this vintage piece was used for...Any help is appreciated.  There are no maker's marks. TIA

MVIMG_20200329_110213.jpg

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: What is this?

@maxine*j wrote:

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@maxine*j 

I think I see the reflection of the item beneath it... no (green) 'below part' at all.

Ah, okay.  Idiotic of me to admit I can't make heads nor tails of a photo but then go right ahead with comments on what it might, or might not, be.   😕

Hahaha... and quite embarrassing for me! The reflection from that buffed table is what caught my eye... I haven't seen polished furniture since we've been 'social distancing'. Oh, well... Home Sweet Home! 

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

I am so sorry!  I have been away from this for a couple of days.  Thank you all for your comments in spite of my non-existent description.

Size: 4 1/2" diameter, 2 1/4" high.  All one piece, nothing comes off.  Hole in the middle-3/4" diameter. The gold finish has almost an iridescent look.  The bottom of it has a strange pink color that looks like it ran from the finish.  It is under the top glaze.  It is ceramic, maybe porcelain.

 I really appreciate everyone's help.  

1.1.jpg

1.jpg

MVIMG_20200331_180243.jpg

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

All one piece.  Quite small.  So much for all our ideas so far.  😖   Hope everyone will take a second look now, with the added photos.   I'm baffled.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Maybe an incense burner?
Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Well, this puts me back in the potpourri camp if I was ever there. If it was for hair, is retrieving said hair with tweezers a thing? I mean you could still stuff hair in that hole, but getting it out? Ah well, back to trying to invent a cost-effective ventilator.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

Flower frog by Holland Molds.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@arizonaantiquesnjewels wrote:

Flower frog by Holland Molds.

Well, I'll be dang. They can  look as pretty empty as full. Thanks, @arizonaantiquesnjewels !!!

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

Is there a comp for this identical item you could point us to? I looked at Holland Mold offerings and their glazes are different.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Is there a comp for this identical item you could point us to? I looked at Holland Mold offerings and their glazes are different.

Apparently they made molds primarily for home crafters, which might explain any difference in glaze. But a reference really would be helpful.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Apparently they made molds primarily for home crafters, which might explain any difference in glaze. But a reference really would be helpful.

Yes, Holland Molds were, and are, sold mostly to hobbyists.  But I thought they were, and are, always marked.

It's funny that I suggested a flower arranger in my first post, but I was thinking of something larger, as I've seen such fancy ones only for table centerpieces.  I wish there were more information about this as a flower frog and by Holland.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

I was also thinking it might be a flower frog, but I have never seen one that had holes that were not round.  The only round hole is the one in the middle.  All the others are oval or oblong...different.  Has anyone seen one that has holes like this?

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

I've never seen anything as small as your item used for flower arranging that had anything other than round holes. 

I've seen much larger ones, used for table centrepiece arrangements, with openings in a fancy pattern. 

Message 27 of 27
latest reply