cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this, and how old is it?

I've been searching for ages trying to figure out exactly what this is. I think it's either a small 7-3/4" square tray, small plate, or salver. Seems to be difficult to find something similar. At first I thought it was made up of pewter, but it is not, as it does not stick to a magnet, so must be silverplated.

If anyone knows anything more I would be very grateful 🙂

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: What is this, and how old is it?

a magnet does not stick to pewter.  the only thing magnets stick to are iron, cobalt, and nickel.  your piece is either pewter or an aluminum alloy

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

My mistake... I should have said it *does* stick to a magnet. Thank you for your response md1919.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@jasminetheflower1 wrote:

My mistake... I should have said it *does* stick to a magnet.

If it definitely does stick to a magnet, why would you conclude that it "must be silverplated"? Pure nickel was used as a base metal for silverplated items at one time, and such a piece might stick to a magnet, but the vast majority of silverplated items are non-magnetic. It is far more likely to be steel.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

OK, I'll bite, are there any maker or hallmarks or touchmarks or labels on the back. Anything at all?

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

OK, I'll bite, are there any maker or hallmarks or touchmarks or labels on the back. Anything at all?

Photo not showing?

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

Photo not showing?

Evidently not.  And I just been notified -- for the sixth time since yesterday -- that I've received 101 "Helpfuls" from you, all for the same post about the kitchen item.  Wheeeeee!

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@argon38 wrote:

Photo not showing?

Evidently not.  And I just been notified -- for the sixth time since yesterday -- that I've received 101 "Helpfuls" from you, all for the same post about the kitchen item.  Wheeeeee!

I got exactly the same 101 dalmations helpfuls thing. But I managed to clear them by clicking on "View All" (underneath the bell, to the right).

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

redwarning.jpg

 Only 1 photo of the front. FYI those are MY helpfuls!

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

I got exactly the same 101 dalmations helpfuls thing. But I managed to clear them by clicking on "View All" (underneath the bell, to the right).

Did that.  That's how I saw the 1 helpful left, by you.  But I keep getting the 101 and when I "view all," the only new "helpful" is that same one.  (Still, I'd rather have that than 101 Dalmatians.  My brother and his daughter had Dalmatians.  Very smart and interesting dogs -- but one at a time is plenty!)

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Failed.png

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

redwarning.jpg

 Only 1 photo of the front. FYI those are MY helpfuls!

Oh, my!  I just got another 101.  And, yes, it now shows the 1 from you on this thread.   

I get the "Sorry, unable to complete the action you requested" message well over half the time when I try to reply to a post.  Sometimes it works on the next try, and sometimes it works after I refresh the page.  Occasionally, I have to leave the page entirely, and sometimes I have to close the browser and log in again.  Many times, of course, I just skip it altogether and leave the replies to others. 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

error.png

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I think it is Don Jr & Eric practicing how they can help dad in the election.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

OP: don't be put off by our chat, we still want to help with your tray! But I really don't get why you would associate magnetism with silverplate.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply