cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the Name of This 1922 Silver US Coin?

I know that this is probably considered "folk art", but I am interested in what this coin is called,..other than "destroyed" by the pounding. Thanks!

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

The coin is the the well known US Peace Dollar, but the woman's head has been added to it and is not part of the original coin. It looks like the new head is an embellishment that was removed from a Victorian era silver piece. The two pieces have been fused together. It's different to be sure. Just some ideas, not a coin expert.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

@avintagejool repousse is the technique used. There is nothing added or attached

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

@fossil_diver wrote:

@avintagejool repousse is the technique used. There is nothing added or attached

But on the coin, the head is in profile, nor is the word "Liberty"   on teh head.  How would it be possible to end up with this head,no  matter how skilled the silversmith? 

USA PEACE DOLLAR - 1922USA PEACE DOLLAR - 1922

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

@fossil_diver wrote:

avintagejool repousse is the technique used. There is nothing added or attached

But a real coin does appear to have been used - if you look closely on the reverse, you can partially make out the words "United States of America."

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

But a real coin does appear to have been used - if you look closely on the reverse, you can partially make out the words "United States of America."

I don't think there's any question that a real coin was used.  You can also see the reeding.  (I think called "milling" or "milled edges" in the UK.)

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

But on the coin, the head is in profile, nor is the word "Liberty"   on teh head.  How would it be possible to end up with this head,no  matter how skilled the silversmith?  

I suppose you could obliterate the original head with some sort of pre-designed punch? It does look as though the metal has been pressed out.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@maxine*j wrote:

I suppose you could obliterate the original head with some sort of pre-designed punch?

Yes, and the other head added.  That's what *palmtreelucky* originally suggested, and I think he's right.  But *fossildiver* said nothing had been added or attached, and I was disagreeing with that and giving my reasons.  So far as I know, there is no U.S. coin with that head, but definitely not the Peace Dollar.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

Yes, and the other head added.  That's what *palmtreelucky* originally suggested, and I think he's right.  But *fossildiver* said nothing had been added, and I was disagreeing with that and giving my reasons.

I don't mean the original head was necessarily removed, rather that it may have been obliterated in the very act of being pressed outwards by the punch. It's just that I'm not seeing any visible evidence of the new head being attached to the pre-existing coin.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@maxine*j wrote:

Yes, and the other head added.  That's what *palmtreelucky* originally suggested, and I think he's right.  But *fossildiver* said nothing had been added, and I was disagreeing with that and giving my reasons.

I don't mean the original head was necessarily removed, rather that it may have been obliterated in the very act of being pressed outwards by the punch. It's just that I'm not seeing any visible evidence of attachment of the new head.

All I'm saying is that the head we see there is not the head of the original coin -- however it got there, by whatever technique.  So I agreed with *palmtreelucky* on that point and I disagreed with *fossildiver*'s statement that "nothing was added or attached." 

How it was done, I don't know because I'm not a silversmith,  jeweller, or any sort of artist or craftsman.   The head was somehow added, or the base is not a real coin but was cleverly and meticulously crafted to look like one.

I'm sorry if I'm being unclear myself, or misunderstanding your point.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Looking at it more closely, I don't think the head has come from elsewhere. From the "torn" edges, it's clearly meant to show Liberty bursting out of the face of the coin. I think palmtreelucky has it right as to the identification of the coin, and fossildiver has it right as to there being nothing added - it's all of one piece.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

Looking at it more closely, I don't think the head has come from elsewhere. From the "torn" edges, it's clearly meant to show Liberty bursting out of the face of the coin. I think palmtreelucky has it right as to the identification of the coin, and fossildiver has it right as to there being nothing added - it's all of one piece.

How do you change the profile of the head on the coin to the frontal view?  How do you add the word "Liberty" to her head?  How do you subtly change her hair?   I don't see how you can do that by just "punching out the original head, which is in profile, has different hair, does not have the word "liberty."   But evidently you see or know things I don't so, so I'll stop repeating myself.

OP's Piece -- Added laurel wreath, added "Liverty," entirely different orientationOP's Piece -- Added laurel wreath, added "Liverty," entirely different orientation

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

All I'm saying is that the head we see there is not the head of the original coin -- however it got there, by whatever technique.

The contours of the original head are relatively shallow, so I think that if the metal of the coin were to be pressed outwards by a punch with the extruding head design on it, the original head outline would be lost and would no longer be visible. All you would see would be the forceful outlines of the new head.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@maxine*j wrote:

All I'm saying is that the head we see there is not the head of the original coin -- however it got there, by whatever technique.

The contours of the original head are relatively shallow, so I think that if the metal of the coin were to be pressed outwards by a punch, the original head outline would be lost and would no longer be visible. All you would see would be the forceful outlines of the new head.

And the word "Liberty"?  And the new laurel wreath?  Magic?

(Sorry about "Liverty" in the caption on the picture in previous post;  couldn't seem to edit.)

Liverty"
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

And the word "Liberty"?  And the new laurel wreath?  Magic?

They'd be part of the design on the punch (in reverse, obviously).

Message 15 of 28
latest reply