cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Type of Script Writing is this?

Any thoughts on the type of script writing this might be?

The script is carved on a small (1-1/2 in.) and very translucent stone (probably jade).

Appears to be a series of lines on one side, and the other with a series of lines, a circle and crescents.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

UNKNOWN SCRIPT 001-001.JPGUNKNOWN SCRIPT 002-001.JPGUNKNOWN SCRIPT 003-001.JPGUNKNOWN SCRIPT 005-001.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: What Type of Script Writing is this?

I'm not even sure that it's writing. Possibly just random lines for decorative effect, like the moon shining through bamboo?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Possibly Runes but that is just a guess. Could just be decorative as already suggested.

This link goes to a page on the Runic alphabet.  https://www.omniglot.com/writing/runic.htm

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I have simular piece that writing could not be identified.  Mine apppears to be mothers pendant. with polished stone charm but my lettering simular to yours is applied in 24kt applique. smaller maybe 3mm stones of different colors.  I could not verify but I was told maybe old Pursian or Aerobic

Terry Thomas
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you all for your replies and thoughts. 

Maybe it is just decorative as suggested. I sometimes look too deep into objects and can overlook the obvious. I thought the engravings might be Ogham script or something quite old as it was found with this ancient Byzantine(?) miniature bronze cross pendant. 

CROSS 001.JPGCROSS 002.JPG

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

These are just some mumble jumble and not really jade (too translucent).  You can try to scratch it wtih a Swiss army pocket knife and it should leave a white line.  Jade (nephrite or jadeite) cannot be scratched by metal.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

If mine, I would hold off on scratching it with a pocketknife. The suspension hole looks to be hand drilled (non-electric drill).

Message 7 of 7
latest reply