cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown Continental Airlines item

492.jpgGreetings, Do you know wht this was used for? It looks like a handle to me, but I can't figure it out or find it online. Trapazoid shape and early plastic.

Thank you in advance, Ron   dba   clsseller

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Unknown Continental Airlines item

Does one of the ends come off, or is it a solid block of plastic? (I'm not sure what you mean by "early plastic").

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

The ends are not removeable. It is hollow. It is a hard plastic, typical of the 1960-1970s. Not modern flimsy material. The braided material goes into the handle.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

According to this link it's a "hanger grip"

https://ehive.com/collections/3031/objects/625477/hanger-grip-continental-airlines

I'm not quite sure how it would function...is it maybe for clothes hangers?....or is it misspelled  & has something to do with airplane hangars?

Hope this helps w/your research

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

A big THANK YOU for the link. Probably a in flight tool. I can't imagine it being of any use in a hangar. This expands my knowledge about obscure items.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@argon38, great find!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Rare-United-Airlines-Hanger-Grip-United-s-New-Yorkers-United-s-Californ...

This Hanger Grip makes it easier and more comfortable to carry garments that are on hangers inside a small garment bag.

image.png

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@argon38, great find!

I only found it thanks to yankeebob's  "hanger grip" identification! I was totally baffled, so I'm glad that's the mystery solved.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Makes sense now...must be from back in the day when garment bags full of hangers were more common for travellers to be toting around.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

ha-ha! 

I knew this would be a "oh of course!" facepalmer for me when someone showed this in use...thanks for the pic.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply