cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turkish or Navajo.

This rug is 60” x 40” with a distinctive star pattern. It is 100% woven wool. I say handmade but the difference between Navajo and Turkish can be quite significant. I sourced this from the daughter of a specialty carpet cleaner. He had this gifted to him by a faithful customer. The daughter of the rug cleaner remembered her dad getting the rug when she was very young. Without being rude asking about ages of the ladies, I guess the daughter was in her late fifties. She said the rug was old when her dad received it. Any help getting this narrowed to anything would be fantastic. 

1A64D177-2306-41C7-BCE2-4EB2DFE4C8E0.jpeg686ED160-E703-4072-8DEE-D901477DF7D0.jpeg106BE32C-159F-4759-909B-AF5E12952285.jpeg7691816B-5AED-4B14-8FF1-7450E09B7C20.jpeg2287A624-1B53-4EF5-B745-BE70007BEE52.jpegThis rug is 60” x 40” with a distinc

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Turkish or Navajo.

That's  how I see it, too, thus my first post.

Not to mention that the fringes added to Germantown weavings were usually thick and fancy and often multicolored, like this example:

https://www.navajorug.com/pages/germantown-navajo-rug

-

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

I believe the generous contributors to this thread. Someone suggested I have a professional rug person check this. I do not have anyone local to do so. I have not checked the responses for several days. I am sorry to cause unnecessary drama. 

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Navajo weavings are identified not by the design, but by the way they are woven. They will never be woven with fringe across both ends. There are only two types of Navajo rugs that have fringe at all: what's called a Gallup Throw, which has fringe on one end only, and the Germantown rug already mentioned (made in the late 1800s, which has fringe that has been added on after the rug was finished and taken off the loom. The fringe is decoration only, and was not originally a part of the weaving. It was an addition to the rug, so that it would look more like the rugs made by the rest of world, which the customers were used to.)

The Navajo also use a tapestry stitch in their weavings, which means both sides are identical. Your rug was made with a pile stitch, which Navajo weavers never use.  The specific type of knot may help tell where it was made.  Here's a link that may be helpfuil:  https://www.nejad.com/consumer/anatomy-of-a-rug.html

Message 18 of 18
latest reply