cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Strangest Cabbage Patch Doll Ever

Hello I have a 1985 Coleco Cabbage Patch Doll size 14" in original clothing.  But look at the head it is a strange mottled color all over. I suppose it is an error or sun damage not sure.  I brought it because it was very different. What do you think happened?1201201832_resized.jpg1201201835c_resized.jpg1201201835a_resized.jpg

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: The Strangest Cabbage Patch Doll Ever

I am not qualified to talk about dolls but the coloring difference I'm reading about makes me want to comment anyway. A few years ago I bought a doll collection from someone who had lived in the desert for many years and collected dump dolls that she found at the local dump. They were all in varying degrees of sun-baked-ness.. The faces and arms were all shades of crispy brown. Where the clothes had protected the skin it was still light but most was scorched from 110-degree heat daily.  As it was near Halloween I sold all and called them "A-Bomb Kids"; the eyes were baked; the hair was mostly curled up and scorched. I sold a lot of them to artists who were going to further enhance them.  I had doll collectors bemoaning the condition and the punk/artist types went nuts over them. That is all I know about dolls.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

What an interesting story.  Thanks. 

I had never heard of dump dolls before, so that's my something new learned for today.   It seems people look for dolls in dumps, ghost towns, abandoned houses, along the road, and even old privvies.  

Human-watching never gets boring, not for a moment.  

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

That baby has pox 

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

I'm surprised it's still active. "Dump Dolls" is not copyrighted, I had to call them something😎

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

My wife has a doll like this , and I pointed out tlo her that the head was black while it's arms and legs were white .. and she said she's always knew the head was black..but the didn't realize the arms and legs were white till I pointed it out .  Her brother backs her up on this and said he even remembers a drunk racist family member during the holidays not only making a comment about but going out and buying her  a Caucasian cbk because he didn't want to see her carrying the black one around .   She also still has this doll . I checked the left butt cheek ..they are both '85s so that part checks out.  

I'm not going to say it's not a case of pox , but if it is ... Then it came from the factory with the infection . 

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply