cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silver plate mark on a tea set

Hi I just purchased a silver plated tea set and I can’t find any information thru the internet. I tried searching eBay as well. It was a W R with a cross on the left and something else on the right, by the R. It also has what looks like someone’s social security number etched into each piece. I know it’s at least 20 yrs old but there’s no tarnish. So maybe this isn’t silver plated? I tried to send pics but I couldn’t sorry. I appreciate any helpThank you very much

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER
10 REPLIES 10

probably william rogers.  did you try to upload photos using the photos icon at the top of the text box?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I did. And I’m pretty sure there not Wm Rogers
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Stalemate.

Debora

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

35FE9686-8219-4097-8FDE-9220C42DAE3A.jpeg

I think I was having a hard time downloading a pic because of bad service. If anyone knows this maker? Also does anyone know why a long sequence of numbers like a soc sec number would be etched into this? Thanks for your help!

A9633A39-F7D4-419B-8FC2-48B5ED3D5146.jpeg

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Argon38 is correct, without a doubt Wm. A. Rogers Ltd. is correct.

The long series of numbers etched into base is probably an id. number homeowners marked their valuables with, in case of theft and recovery to identify.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@woodw_sandr wrote:

without a doubt Wm. A. Rogers Ltd. is correct.

Yes, Wm. A. Rogers Ltd. Not to be confused with the other "Wm. Rogers" (William Hazen Rogers, of Hartford, Conn.).

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thank you. So This is a different Wm Rogers than the one you see on Oneida etc? Thank you for the answers. Because there’s no tarnish do you think it’s aluminum? Sorry for asking another question. I’ll be done after this I promise. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Wm. A. Rogers was acquired by Oneida in 1929, but may have continued to use just the Wm. A.Rogers trademark.

The non-tarnish aspect may be the result of a lacquer coating that was factory applied.  I believe one brand name for this coating was Arris, or something like that.

I have found that frequently this coating peels in places and when that happens, I simply soak the piece in very hot water to remove all of it, then just treat it as normal silverplate, and polish when neccessary.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thank you
Message 11 of 11
latest reply