cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real or Fake?

Ok...I posted something about a month ago and got some amazing help.  I am hoping lightning will strike twice.

Short story, helping my mother clean out a few generations of collectables.  I know nothing about this stuff.  In the collections we have found some vary nice stuff and some not so nice stuff.  However, I have been able to identify most of it before listing.  I have come across one I am not sure is real.  I have attached several pictures.

We believe these belonged to my Great Grandmother.  They "might be" Royal Vienna.  However, the shield (beehive) is a little off square so it makes me question.  They are hand painted and their is a signature on the front that I think reads Besblue but it is hard to read.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  And...it might be tomorrow before I get back to look and thank you for your help.  Last time someone was upset because it took me two days to get back to the discussion.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Real or Fake?

The white dots look plastic.  Are they?

The behive shape doesn't have to be even-I have a couple that are not, but the plate is lovely.  I cannot speak for a maker, but I do have a site for that mark.  The signature might be even more help.

I recently gave away about one hundred plates and I had a plate with that same rim design, but I don't remember who it was.  It did not have any dots on it.

Let me see what I can find out.l

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Real or Fake?

first of all, the mark is a shield, not a beehive.  the Royal Vienna shield mark has been used by dozens of companies and decorators.  yours is not real royal Vienna, not even in the real royal vienna style.  real royal vienna is so rare it is not to be found on the open market except for the highest le

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Real or Fake?

MD1919 - I did put beehive in quotations because a lot of people have confused the shield for a beehive.  I was attempting to cover all my bases.  As for the style, I must assume that most of the pictures posted about Royal Vienna are fakes as well.  During my research I found dozens of plates listed as Royal Vienna that we very similar.  The part that confused my was I found MANY with cherubs, none were pink and none were signed.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Real or Fake?

No, I do not think they are plastic.  I think they are paint.  Although I never considered plastic as an option until you mentioned it.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Real or Fake?

They are Royal Vienna plates.  Technically the mark is a shield but most have called it a beehive mark for years and continue to do so.  I suggest using both in your ad.   It is like I sell Catalin--but most call it Bakelite as do I.  My mother collected RV plates all with pretty ladies painted on them.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Real or Fake?

I will try one more time, these are not real 18th century Royal Vienna.  Not even in the original Royal Vienna style. These are late 19th century, early 20th century with decoration marks that mimic the RV shield

Message 7 of 7
latest reply