cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REPRODUCTIONS

What are the Ebay rules for selling hand painted reproductions of a painting? 

The painting would be a different size of the original and the original artists name would not be signed on the painting. 

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: REPRODUCTIONS

Here is how my ad will read 

Hand painted reproduction of painting name year artist name.

The painting was done by a family member to the original artist.

The painting will be signed by me using my first name and my mothers maiden name which is the same as the original artist.

The buyer will know its a reproduction so their only concern would be was the painting actually painted by a family member to the original artists.

There are 2 professional artists in my family we have the same last name in the family of the original artist nobody is going dispute me saying I didn't do the painting.

If you think I cant get the painting then you are wrong I can have the painting in my hands by the end of the month and put it up for sale.

Message 31 of 71
latest reply

I think that there is a high likelihood that you and all involved will end up spending time for art fraud no matter how many ways you serve this up.  If you are insistent on making money off of your relative who was the artist, hire a lawyer and see if you might do prints of their works... LEGALLY!!! If not, let it go and keep yourself out of jail.  

Message 32 of 71
latest reply

@discountauctionhouse wrote:

The painting will be signed by me using my first name and my mothers maiden name which is the same as the original artist.

My advice would be:

(i) Never make or sell copies of an artwork unless you know for certain that there are no legal restrictions.
(ii) Never sign anything using another person's name, even if it's your mother's maiden name.
(iii) Never sign a painting that you haven't painted yourself.

Message 33 of 71
latest reply

Hey, that's what I said! 🤣

Message 34 of 71
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Hey, that's what I said! 🤣

So you don't like people agreeing with you? 😀

Message 35 of 71
latest reply

Not at all, I encourage everyone to agree with me!

Message 36 of 71
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

I think that there is a high likelihood that you and all involved will end up spending time for art fraud no matter how many ways you serve this up.  If you are insistent on making money off of your relative who was the artist, hire a lawyer and see if you might do prints of their works... LEGALLY!!! If not, let it go and keep yourself out of jail.  

I agree with what you've posted here, but I will add that this is clumsiest attempt at art fraud that I've ever seen;  real Keystone Kriminals stuff.

Message 37 of 71
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

My advice would be:

(i) Never make or sell copies of an artwork unless you know for certain that there are no legal restrictions.
(ii) Never sign anything using another person's name, even if it's your mother's maiden name.

I agree with what you've posted here, but I will add that you were wrong earlier when you said no one would use a public forum to ask for advice on a shady scheme.

Message 38 of 71
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@argon38 wrote:

My advice would be:

I agree with what you've posted here, but I will add that you were wrong earlier when you said no one would use a public forum to ask for advice on a shady scheme.

I don't believe the OP is out to defraud anyone. 

"Here is how my ad would read on Ebay if I did this. Reproduction hand painted by a descendent of the original artist. The painting would be signed with a different name but the same last name as the original artist and dated 2020."

"Here is how my ad will read. Hand painted reproduction of painting name year artist name.... The buyer will know its a reproduction."

I think they have a half-baked idea, but they are not proposing to pass off reproductions as originals.

Message 39 of 71
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

Here's what I wrote:

Well, I'm assuming the OP isn't really asking "is it OK to sell replica paintings on eBay as part of a fraudulent scheme that would allow buyers to add fake signatures and then pass them off as real?" No-one in their senses would come on a public discussion board to ask such a question.

That is not what the OP is proposing.

Message 40 of 71
latest reply

It is well known that you are less suspicious and more generous than I.   😊

Message 41 of 71
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

It is well known that you are less suspicious and more generous than I.   😊

But you can't level accusations of fraud on the basis of suspicion. OP has been clear throughout that the copies will not be presented as originals. The clue is in the heading of the thread.

Message 42 of 71
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

But you can't level accusations of fraud on the basis of suspicion. OP has been clear throughout that the copies will not be presented as originals. The clue is in the heading of the thread.

All I see is this:  OP never indicates an understanding or an appreciation of any replies given, and OP's story keeps changing every whipstitch. 

I feel now as I did days ago when I said to OP when OP asked if people would think hs is a crook:  "I don't think you're a crook, yet.  I think that you are someone contemplating a scheme that your conscience is telling you is crooked."

Message 43 of 71
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I feel now as I did days ago when I said to OP when OP asked if people would think hs is a crook:  "I don't think you're a crook, yet.  I think that you are someone contemplating a scheme that your conscience is telling you is crooked."

That's the difference: I don't see where the crookedness comes into it. I see an ill-advised, misconceived plan which could potentially land the OP in copyright difficulty, and one that makes very little commercial sense.

Message 44 of 71
latest reply

I'm sorry but this reminds me too much of when I was 7 and a few of us thought we could make a bunch of money by stealing hubcaps in the neighborhood and then taking them to the bottom of the hill the next morning and reselling them for $2 each. "We just found 'em." Business was brisk until people started recognizing their own hubcaps.

Spankings were had by all. Refunds. Room time.

Or was that an episode of the Little Rascals?

Message 45 of 71
latest reply