cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Primitive wooden Club. Maybe PESTLE for grapes/wine? You thoughts...

What do you think this item is?  What was it used for?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

How long is it? About eight inches?

My dad built his own wine press, but it squeezed the grapes between two flat boards.

He'd seen something like it when he served with the RAF in Italy during the War.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

It is slightly shorter than a basebll bat.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@parksidedawn wrote:

It is slightly shorter than a basebll bat.

Then I'd say it's for use while you're standing up, and using both hands.  Perhaps for pounding grain, as in these images:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pounding+grain&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSxorrl6LcAhUGuV...

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Great images!!   Only difference I notice is that the items used to pound grain seem to have a rounded bottom as opposed to the flat one on this item.  

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Perhaps is was used to mash Potatoes.  Maybe by a cook serving many individuals such as US Army.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@parksidedawn wrote:

Perhaps is was used to mash Potatoes.  Maybe by a cook serving many individuals such as US Army.

No. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

If you are familiar with the expression 'pound sand', this is what you do it with.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@parksidedawn wrote:

Great images!!   Only difference I notice is that the items used to pound grain seem to have a rounded bottom as opposed to the flat one on this item.  

Several of the pictures in that link show a flat bottom, so I would say that @maxine*j nailed this one.

image.png  image.png

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I remember seeing things a bit like this described as "washing dollies". For whacking laundry around in a barrel.  This could be False Memory Syndrome but might be worth investigating.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@pillarboxred wrote:

I remember seeing things a bit like this described as "washing dollies". For whacking laundry around in a barrel.  This could be False Memory Syndrome but might be worth investigating.

I don't think so.  All the ones I've seen have bottoms that are either like plungers or they have finger-like projecttions -- in both cases, to really "agitate" the clothes -- and this Google image search seems to bear that out:

https://www.google.com/search?q=antique+washing+dolly&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii8eONiKf...

Not that you couldn't pound and swirl the laundry with this, mind you.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply