jaycee55

DSC07453.JPG

DSC07454.JPGDSC07455.JPG

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Pottery Weed Pot with Japanese? signature

As the seller you would have to make up your own mind on that score. You can safely say that it is "signed Haruta." Beyond that... are there Yosuke Haruta fakes out there? Or might there be another potter named Haruta who signs his work in a similar manner? I don't think either scenario is very likely, but I'm not in a position to offer assurances.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

If I have transcribed the characters correctly, they mean "Spring field", and they mean the same in Japanese and Chinese. They sound differently, but they are written the same.

image:

image.png

characters:

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

So not a signature at all.  Any thought on age and do you

think it is wheel turned or hand turned?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

The characters might have been how the maker signed their work, kind of like a stage name. I would say it's late 20th century or more recent. And, it was hand turned on a wheel. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Thank you lacemaker3 for the info.  It is very much appreciated.

jaycee55

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

If I have transcribed the characters correctly, they mean "Spring field", and they mean the same in Japanese and Chinese.

It looks like 春田 (Haruta) is also a real surname in Japanese. I found a Michigan-based Japanese-born potter named Yosuke Haruta - there's a good chance it might be his:

https://www.themarksproject.org/marks/haruta 

https://www.trocadero.com/stores/bamboo/items/814783/Japanese-Mashiko-style-bowl-by-Yosuke-Haruta 

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/yosuke-haruta-american-japan-20th-1921216064 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@argon38, thanks, I've been hoping you would be able to help with this thread.

I agree with your identification. I wasn't sure if I had identified the characters correctly, but after viewing other examples of how Haruta forms the characters, the brush-strokes, I am more confident that this interpretation is correct, and also that it is probably his work.

This explains why I was getting the feel of a North American studio piece, because Haruta is a good example of the kind of artist who has inspired many other studio artists. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Thank You to argon and lacemaker both for this information.

Does that mean that I can safely list this weed pot as made by

Yosuke Haruta?  Or do I need further research?

jaycee55

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

As the seller you would have to make up your own mind on that score. You can safely say that it is "signed Haruta." Beyond that... are there Yosuke Haruta fakes out there? Or might there be another potter named Haruta who signs his work in a similar manner? I don't think either scenario is very likely, but I'm not in a position to offer assurances.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

For a signature, to my eye, each of the three examples appear to have been done by a different hand.  Also, the covered jar, the bowl and the weed pot/vase do not seem to be similar 'quality' - just opinion, though.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 10 of 10
latest reply