cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postage Stamp Lot World Wide

I have just obtained from a NH estate auction a good size lot of worldwide stamps.  Some of the albums must have been stored in the cellar and have a light musty smell.  This gentleman was a long time collector.  I know the different terms for stamps as I did this in my younger years but not quite sure how to handle this lot.  Some cancelled, some not, some hinged etc.  Would like to do them all as one lot.  Any sugestions.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Postage Stamp Lot World Wide

Your question is too general to answer, but start here by studying mixed lots and albums that sold to see how successful auctions of this sort were put together:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Lot+stamps+albums&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1...

and

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=postage+stamp+lot+world+wide&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Compl...

and other searches you can construct.

I don't need to tell you to be very careful because of that "musty" smell.  Mildew and mold are living organisms that will invade and infect everything they come in contact with.   Start by letting everything dry out, well separated.  If you still have a "musty" smell after a week or so, you likely have a problem.

Hope the stamps and albums are okay and do well for you.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thanks. No mold or mildew. Just that smell that you get from stored in basement. Clothes - vinegar in wash water. Stamps that won't work. 🙂
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Bulk stamp collections are usually what are  termed schoolboy collections which are usually rows and rows of stamps possibly sorted by country but with little other organisation, or philatelic collections which are well presented, orderly, often annotated, in issue date order with gaps for missing items and well spaced out.

Sight of one page of an album is usually enough to classify it.

Schoolboy collections fetch very little, although very old ones have  more potential but large numbers of 20th C material are rarely worth looking through.

The philatelic collections may have valuable items that the collector paid well for, so they are worth examining in more detail, looking for high face value stamps and well known rarities in each country series.

The schoolboy market, where quantity was more important than quality seems to have died out and philately in general declined but there is still  a market for better material

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 4 of 4
latest reply