cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help identify origin and manufacturer - vintage tea cup set

I have this set of lovely vintage porcelain tea cups and know not where they originate from or the manufacturer.  Please see the pictures of what I believe is the maker's mark on the side of one cup, the marking at the end of the box and the set.  Appreciative of your shared expertise, thank you in advance for any information you might have ! P1020481.JPGP1020476.JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Please help identify origin and manufacturer - vintage tea cup set

I recognize the second and third ones as the art of Hokusai, and I imagine the others are, too.  Might help you in your research.  More on Hokusai:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokusai

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Which is Greek to me, but I would say Korean for export.

Radine

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Japanese gift set.
Janet
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Further to earlier post:  The first four are all by Hokusai. so I assume the fifth one is, too.

They are,left to right:  (1)  Morning View at Nihon Bridge.  (2)  The Great Wave Of Kanagawa.  (3)  South Wind, Clear Sky (also known as Red Fuji).  (4)  The Lake at Hakone.  (5) ??

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Got it.  The fifth one, also by Hokusai, is The Lone Fisherman at Kajikazawa.

So, left to right:  (1)  Morning View at Nihon Bridge.   (2) The Great Wave Of Kanagawa.   (3) South Wind, Clear Sky (also known as Red Fuji).    (4) The Lake at Hakone.    (5) The Lone Fisherman at Kajikazawa.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

You are AMAZING !  Thank you so much, your help is invaluable !  (Can I suggest opening up an online 'trademark identification' service?)  Appreciate your help, immensely ! 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

You're welcome.  My late husband had on the walls of his workroom, for a couple of years, really beautiful reproductions of each of The Thirty-Six Views of Mount Fuji by Hokusai.  So the Great Wave and The Red Fuji were instantly recognizable to me.  He wanted to put up each of Hokusai's The Fifty-Three Stations of the Tokaido, but didn't have the wall space.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 8
latest reply