cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pichwai or Pichhavai Painting on Silk

I need help with this Pichwai. I have been doing research on this item, but I need the advise of a professional. It is large, measuring at 6' by 4' in the frame, but it is actually larger than this. I Know that this is Krishna, but I don't know who the top depiction is of. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I want to sell it, but I need to get all of the info

20210409_100948.jpg

20210410_123247.jpg

20210410_123656.jpg

20210410_123647.jpg

20210409_100928.jpg

20210409_100936.jpg

that I possibly can first. Thank's for your time.

Lu

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Pichwai or Pichhavai Painting on Silk

Krishna with female Gopis.

I think the top is Shrinathji, his left hand always in the air, lifting Mount Govardhan.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I thought The same, but I've only seen him with jewelry on.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I find Hindu muthology and relgion very confusing, though it''s comforting to know that many Hindus do, as well.  😉

Anyhow, given the blus skin, the figure may be another incarnation of Vishnu.  A Google image search on The Dashavatara will show you many representations of the ten incarnations.  Krishna, by the way, is the 57th name of Vishnu in The Sahasranamain.

I wish I could be of more help but  maybe  that gives you a bit.

-

-

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I've found it to be confusing and complexing myself. 🙂

Thank you for your knowledge and time.

I found it to be helpful.

Best, Lu

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

What I need to do now is find an expert to physically check out this beautiful piece of art. I'm pretty certain it's an antique Pichhavai . I need to know just how old, and it's value .

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

There is a wonderful animated movie by Nina Paley called Sita Sings the Blues, based on the Ramayana epic.   Among other delights are occasional spontaneous voice-over comments by three young, modern Indians, all trying to get the story straight and  noting the different versions they grew up with.

--

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Sounds interesting. Thank you.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply