cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obsidian rock

Hello...I picked this up at thrift store. On it has clipping National Yellowstone National Park and a bit about the obsidian cliff. Looking it up, I found that gathering rocks from Yellowstone is illegal...so my question is...is this worth anything? It is shown as found. Thank you for any input. 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Obsidian rock

For those that believe in such things (like Native Americans) the green and red inclusions in the rock hold special powers and were used in ceremonies. The Pomo in CA would knap red obsidion ceremonial points 6"- 8" long.  I had a set once.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Obsidian is absolutely amazing. Here is what wikipedia has to say about it, an introduction sort of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

I agree with many of the above posters.

Now, a few of my thoughts.

First, I dont' believe it's illegal for you to possess ... exactly.

Yes, now it is illegal to take things from Nat'l Parks.

But it always wasn't that way.  Decades upon decades ago, those exact laws may not have been enacted yet.  Perhaps in the 1920s or 30s (or earlier) the Parks simply frowned upon people taking small items.  Long long ago perhaps they simply focussed on preventing Major visible damage to their park.

I'm virtually certain you aren't legally allowed to sell this.

It would be unwise under current laws.

I wouldn't contact the Park and ask if they want it back.

I'm certain that they are aware that tens of thousands of small rocks have most certainly been taken as souvenirs over the last 100 years or so.

I'd simply sit it on a shelf and enjoy it.

jmtcw,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Thank you 18704d for your input . I have been stressing over this...lol..having you said that...it kind of put my mind at ease. I even went as far as thinking my house would be raided..sheesh ! I have been reading up on obsidian and I guess this particuliar area of obsidian is 180,000 years old or older. I do see other types of obsidian for sale but I guess its because its not from this area. Since argon8 provided the link to a brochure which the verbage was identical to what is glued to this rock, I'm thinking it probably was taken in late 1800's. I really appreciate your insight and for now, I will just enjoy it and continue to wonder...

Message 19 of 19
latest reply