Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need id ~ lace tablecloth

Can someone help with id of this tablecloth..All help much appreciated..Thanks

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

The closeup pictures show a tape lace joined by needle stitches. The generic name for this would be Battenburg lace, althouh this might be a variation on that.

I can't see the smaller flowers clearly enough to be sure, but they look like they may be embroidered.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Too late to edit the above post, sorry.

The first time I viewed your post, the closeup showing the smaller flower didn't load, so I couldn't see it.

The flower is made of a bias-woven tape, which is gathered to make the flower and sewn in place. This is less typical of Battenburg, but it's still the same basic type of lace. I'm afraid I am drawing a blank on whether there is another generic name for this, or a more specific name.

The ring in the center is called a couronne, IIRC. It's often used in needle-lace, and Battenburg does use needle-lace stitches to join the different kinds of tapes that were used.

It's a well-made piece, at a guess, early to mid 20th century based on the condition. Since the ground is a net, it's possible that this was intended as a decorative coverlet, rather than a tablecloth. The net, and the 3-dimensional decoration, would be less practical as a tablecloth. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply