cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need id for textile

I have been looking to id this flat weave item..The closest I was able to find is Kilim..I am hoping there is a textile expert who can help me..Thankscomposite_15804078688042.jpgcomposite_15804079337322.jpgcomposite_15804079487927.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Need id for textile

A kilim is a type of rug or carpet, made in Turkey, Kurdistan, and neighboring areas. 

This appears to be tapestry weave (which is a weaving technique, used for flat carpets among other things). Kilims and Dhurries are similar types of carpets, flat weave, no pile, from different areas of the world.

Is it a thick material like a carpet, or a thinner material like maybe a table covering?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for your response..The item is thinner like a table or even a bed cover....
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Might be a coverlet, then.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

So will it be okay to list it as a kilim coverlet origin unknown????
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Well, a kilim is a carpet/rug as I said before. So I wouldn't describe it as both a carpet and a coverlet. It's one or the other.

And, if you don't know that it actually is a kilim, from one of the regions that makes kilims, then you shouldn't use the term. It's not a generic term.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@lacemaker3   Are there small holes in Kilims were colors or weave changes?

I don't see in the ones display.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Slits between two vertical edges where the colors are different are typical of tapestry woven textiles. There are ways to avoid or minimize these slits. Kilims are generally woven with the tapestry technique, but so are many other textiles. I don't know what other techniques may be used in kilim carpets.

The closeup of OP's textile shows some unusual techniques, and I don't know what they might say about what it is or where it was made. But, it isn't a carpet so it's not a kilim.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply