cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with treenware urn(?) on a stand. What was it used for?

Found this item yesterday. It stands approx. 43" tall (not including finial). The urn section isn't as deep as it appears from the exterior (it's only about 4" deep ...and is flat on the bottom).  The urn and column are made from solid pieces of multi-colored wood. With the possible exception of the finial, all sections (including the lid) appear to be original/correct.  My biggest question is: what was it used for? It seems too shallow to have been used as a ice bucket. I'd also like to know it's approx. age and origin (English?). As always, any help/ideas/thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

IMG_6365.JPG

IMG_6366.JPGIMG_6367.JPGIMG_6358.JPGIMG_6364.JPGIMG_6361.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Need help with treenware urn(?) on a stand. What was it used for?

I think it might be a floor / standing / pedestal  ashtray / smoking stand.  It would have had a glass or metal liner, of course.  The nice old ones often had lids / covers.  Anyhow, unless someone comes along with a positive identification otherwise, I think it's worth searching along those lines.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks, Maxine. I didn't consider that it may have had a liner. It would explain the lack of patina on the interior. I spent an hour or so this morning researching it...and was unable to come up with anything that looked like it. I will take your advice and try searching under smoking stands.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I have to agree with Maxine, but more specifically I believe it is a humidor. search turned wood humidor. The fancy segmenting turning is popular with bowls and humidors, as you'll find. The pedestal stand elevates it; I might add that it looks quite old (early 19th cent?).

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I've never seen a humidor of this style on a pedestal / stand, but I agree that the urn shape and the lid are very humidor-like, so that might well have been its use.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thank you, LF.  If it wasn't for the lid, I would have just assumed it was a plant stand. It makes sense that it held tobacco or some other commodity. As Maxine suggested, the possibility that it had a liner makes it all the more plausible.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

"I've never seen a humidor of this style on a pedestal"

Neither have I, Maxine. And I've probably just scanned a couple of thousand Google images. But a smoker's stand or a humidor are more viable options than what I came up with...which was absolutely nothing!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply