cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Identifying Mark

I purchased this vase recently and I've found several with the same peacock design on them but all the ones I found have different handles and a different mark.  Was wondering if anyone could help me identify this mark?  I may not have the mark turned in the right direction.   I tried searching for the mark online but I came up with nothing.    Vase 1.jpg

Vase 2.jpg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Need Help Identifying Mark

Your photo of the mark is upside-down.  It says Kutani.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I think this one is like yours.  Does yours say Made in Japan on the bottom?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/southport/vases-bowls/japanese-cobalt-blue-vase-with-elephant-head-h...

Rita

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@melda58   That looks similar to the one I have.  When I looked at mine, the handles are elephant heads but on the bottom there is only the one mark I showed in the photo.  It does not say "Japan" (just the mark shown in the photo).   Many of the ones I found online actually have "Japan" on them but mine does not.   Also the one you found is cobalt blue and mine is black.  Mine also has a flower band around the neck of the rim. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

九谷-----a japanese famours brand from ancient.

translation by a china software below ,Not necessarily accurate, you can make do with it  :

Kutani-yaki Japanese painted porcelain means "burning" means ceramics in Japanese."Kutani Ware" is Japan's painted porcelain, named after its birthplace in Kutani, with a history of 350 years.At the end of the Ming Dynasty, Chinese painted porcelain was introduced to Japan, loved by the local people, and developed rapidly. Therefore, Japanese painted porcelain has a strong Chinese style, and has now formed many schools such as Gukutani, Yoshidaya, Zhuangsan, Yongle, etc. .

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

'have japan' means it was good quality just for export.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

'have japan' means it was good quality just for export.

your jar might be bought in japan by someone.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Your photo of the mark is upside-down.  It says Kutani.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@waxu_93   Thank you so much for the information! 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@gracieallen01   Thank you!  I wasn't sure I had it going in the right direction.  I appreciate your help!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply