cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Masonic stone stamper hand craved? Trying to find out value and how old it is?

I found this stamper at an antique shop and i know nothing about it. It has a few chips but no chips on the stamper, just on the handle. I thought this item maybe rare as i can't find any in the sold section or even on google. please help me find out how much money it is worth and or how old it is???

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Masonic stone stamper hand craved? Trying to find out value and how old it is?

This is real stone, i don't know what kind of stone it is though.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Re: Masonic stone stamper hand craved? Trying to find out value and how old it is?

This is for completing wax seals. Perhaps if you use "wax seal" in your search it will help.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

B&B is exactly right. 

I'm not going to speculate on how old yours might be, but I will tell you that such stamps are still made and used, and are readily available for not much money. 

Anyhow, look at these to see what B&B and I are tallking about:

https://www.google.com/search?q=masonic+wax+seal+stamp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiquveFm_...

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thanks i looked at that link you provided. I still cannot find any that are hand craved. The whole thing is hand craved. It's good craftsmanship too. That's why im scared to auction it or do a buy it now price. I may be to high or low. Ill keep trying to do research.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@atvguy wrote:
Thanks i looked at that link you provided. I still cannot find any that are hand craved. The whole thing is hand craved. It's good craftsmanship too. That's why im scared to auction it or do a buy it now price. I may be to high or low. Ill keep trying to do research.

I'm not sure how you've determined so definitely that it is hand-carved but I'll take your word for it. 

By the way, in your title to this thread and twice in the above post you spelled it CRAVED instead of CARVED.   Be sure to search on "carved" instead of "craved."

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

thanks, yeah i guess i had a typo. and the major way to tell its hand carved is its imperfect, a machine made one would be perfect. I am a stone worker so i would know. I work with ceramics that get installed on building in manhattan, etc. Where i work blocks of clay are hand sclupted and fired in a kiln. and then the department i work in finshes th blocks. this piece is definately hand made.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@atvguy wrote:

thanks, yeah i guess i had a typo. and the major way to tell its hand carved is its imperfect, a machine made one would be perfect. I am a stone worker so i would know. I work with ceramics that get installed on building in manhattan, etc. Where i work blocks of clay are hand sclupted and fired in a kiln. and then the department i work in finshes th blocks. this piece is definately hand made.

Ah, great!  Being able to say confidently that it is hand-carved increases the value.  At the same time, it makes it even more unlikely you'll ever find an exact for comparison.  It also seems to me to be worn, as through frequent use, so perhaps it has some age to it, too.  Beyond that...  I don't know a thing.   Smiley Happy

All you can do is what you have done -- list it at a high price, hope for a sale, be patient, ultimately re-list at a lower price if there are no takers.

Good luck with it.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply